1954 cd10 trouble

highcountry

Seaman
Hi guys,
I picked up a 54 5.5 that I am totally lost on. It starts and runs well and is in over-all fare shape. When I put it in gear, it kills the motor and it is almost impossible to pull the rope. Put it in neutral and after a pull or two it is ok and starts. I have 60 psi at both lungs and have pulled the lower apart, all looks good? The bearings are tight, the pinion is not worn, I can spin the prop in neutral and in gear. I do need the lower for the water pump, it has cracks in it that allow water into the gear case. The trust washer on the lower shaft looks thin and worn, but the lower shaft fits well in the case. Any one have an idea? Thanks Dana

1946Zephyr

Vice Admiral
Re: 1954 cd10 trouble

Sounds like your shock absorber in the lower unit is bad. That was a common issue with them. The spring inside of them breaks and often times it locks the motor up, to where you can't even budge the flywheel. About all I can suggest, is remove the bearing hub, just below the impeller and you'll see it there. The upper shaft goes into it. If the shock aborber comes apart, then it's broken. Pull it down and let us know what you find. :)

highcountry

Seaman

Sorry that I didn't get right back, I have the whole lower end apart and the only thing that I can see that is worn is a thin washer on the lower shaft. On a 56 c12 (only drawing that I have ) it"s listed as a thrust washer, the bearing in the bottom of the water pump fits well on the shaft, as does the one at the bottom of the lower shaft. I do need the lower water pump housing/ bearing support # 376074 and a thrust washer 304170 ( if they are the same as a 56. Every thing else looks great. Dana

F_R

Supreme Mariner

It may look good, but it is a fair bet that the shock absorber spring is broken. That is why the thrust washer is worn and why it locks up. Probably why you are looking for a beraing housing too? Clean out the inside of the shock absorber real good and get it out in the bright sunlight and look in the hole. You probably will see the spring is broken.

Attachments

• Shock absorber operation iboats.jpg
    Shock absorber operation iboats.jpg
    76.9 KB · Views: 0

samo_ott

Vice Admiral

You said you can spin the prop in gear? That's a problem also!

I have the cd-10 parts manual. If you want it, PM me your email address and request.

highcountry

Seaman

Sent the pm, I don't have a spring in the coupler, not having a picture I didn't know that it took one. I really appreciate the help and will try to find one. Dana

highcountry

Seaman

I guess I'm getting old, I went back and looked at the shaft coupler/shock absorber and now see that it is a spring inside that is broke. I really thank you for the parts view and will start my search for parts. What would happen if I tig welded the two parts together? Just don't hit any rocks? I still need the bearing support plate under the water pump also, might have to put the old dog down. Dana

highcountry

Seaman

Now I really feal bad, I just found a post from 2010 that answered my question about welding it. Thought that I had searched well, but guess I didn't. Thanks all. P.S still need the support plate.

samo_ott

Vice Admiral

What'd the post say? I was going to say yes to welding it.

1946Zephyr

Vice Admiral

I have found a few in the past that were welded. They work good, as long as the halves are put together perfectly straight when you weld them and you have to make sure that the length is good. My suggestion is if you take one of these apart and the shock absorber is good, weld it anyway.

highcountry

Seaman

They said to mig it and change the prop pin to a lighter duty pin or cotter pin maybe. Any idea if another part number bearing support will fit that critter, only seen one of the 376074 supports on ebay and the guy wanted ten times what I payed for the motor. lol

highcountry

Seaman

Well, I think it might have been but I had a shop weld the coupler. lol Thanks for the reply anyway I really appreciate it.