Prop Shaft Lube Question

My father bought a ?new to us? boat with a 1997 Yamaha 250 HP OX66 engine, and last weekend I pulled the propeller off to find the prior owner / mechanic has coated the prop shaft with what looks like anti-seize.

Is this the correct grease to use, or should I wipe it off and replace it with the water proof OMC Triple Guard grease I would usually use? What?s best?

The boat is used in salt water / brackish water. Your feedback is greatly appreciated.

Re: Prop Shaft Lube Question

Rod Bolt - Will the anti-seize cause the stainless steel shaft & propeller hub to react in the saltwater in a harmful way?

99yam40

Fleet Admiral

Rod has not posted here for a while, so my thoughts are follow the service manual recommendations on the type of grease.
Main thing is to pull and clean it 1 or more times a year and re-grease. You need to make sure there is not fishing line wrapped around the shaft any way.

robert graham

Admiral

Any waterproof marine grease is fine for those splines. Like 99yam mentioned, good idea to remove prop now and then to check for fishing line wrapped around prop shaft, possibly under seals, allowing water into lower unit or damaging seals.

Thank you for replying to my post. I feel more confident cleaning off the old grease and using the old reliable water proof marine grease. Fortunately, for over 30 years my father and I have never had an issue with fishing line wrapped around the prop on any of the engines we?ve both owned. After inspecting the shaft, I didn?t find any this time either.

I am sorry to hear that Rod isn?t posting here anymore, as he was a wealth of information.