AlphaOne drive /driven gear installation

affa

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hi<br />Im replacing the bearings on the drive and driven gears.<br />The manual tell me to torque the drive gears lock nut to 85 lbs, is that all? Ive read here about some rolling torque as well, but my manual doesnt say anything about that, its a 1986 mod.<br />Regards<br />Affa

J.J.W

Seaman Apprentice
Re: AlphaOne drive /driven gear installation

The new gears that you bought should be a press fit for the large bearings. When you use a press fit gear, you need to leave out the small spacer and just tighten the nut enough to obtain 6-10 inch lbs. of rolling torque. You will be nowhere near 85 ft. lbs of torque. The 85 ft lbs spec was for the older slip fit gears. The idea was that the large spacer and small spacer were a matched set, so that when you torque it to spec it would have the proper rolling torque. Also be sure to put some loctite on the nut.<br />Good Luck,<br />justin@sterndrive.cc<br />www.sterndrive.cc

affa

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks Justin!<br />Ive not bought new gears, only the bearings, will it be the same, or will it be the old way then?<br />Regards<br />Affa

affa

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Hi<br />Can someone help me with this one, the boating season is very short here in Norway, and all the merc techs are to busy to help.<br />Regards<br />Affa

rattana

Chief Petty Officer

If the bearings are exact replacements (numbers match) It should go back together the same way you took it apart. Was the work you did only on the universal joint assembly? To be sure you should use a shimming tool to ensure the proper clearance between the ujoint assembly gear and the driven gear. Some people will argue that nothing changed if you put the exact same bearings back in the ujoint assembly, the clearances will be the same. I think the big question is why did the ujoint assembly fail? Also did you keep track of the shims in the upper where the ujoint assembly goes into?

DHPMARINE

Captain

affa, If you are only replacing the bearings,and you did not have to press them off,just reassemble and torque the nut.My spec says 70 to 80 foot lbs.85 won't kill it.Turn the assembly as you torque it.<br /> If you have to replace the gears,with NEW gears you leave out the small spacer,and use the rolling torque method.<br />DHP

affa

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Hi, and thanks to you both!<br />The reason for this (I guess)was that I hit a rock and the drive went up in 3200rpm, and it became a awful sound in the outdrive, when I checked there was pressure in the oil(overheating)when I dissambled the drive there was metal shavings in the oil(from a shim), and the outer ring on the drivegear bearing had cracked(which gave me a hard time getting the u-joint out)I was thinking of replacing all bearings because off the metal shavings.<br />I had to hammer the old drivebearings off, and there where no small spacer when I dissambled it, so maybe this is the new setup(had the boat serviced when I bought it 4 years ago)<br />Ive ordered the shimming tools, but need to get this one and the preload on the driven gears right<br />Thanks again!<br />Affa

rattana

Chief Petty Officer

Good Luck Affa, let us know how it is going.