1996 75hp force stumbles on hole shot

caution

Cadet
This stumble is puzzling. Anyone that may be able to help me would be king. She starts and idles fine. Then when i get try to get out of the hole stumble for about 10 seconds. it doesnt happen everytime out. seems to happen when colder out. Funny thing is that after it clears it never happens again for the rest of the day. can someone please point in a direction. I'M thinking of riching her an 1/8 of a turn. she also seems to be smoking less than usual.

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1996 75hp force stumbles on hole shot

Why would you think messing with the carb will help--specifically, why going richer?

These engines show two distict signs of incorrect mixture on the hole shot: Too lean and the engine "sags" then picks up and accelerates. Too rich and it will burble or stumble then clear itself and pick up.

So: I would say that you are already too rich, however, I would expect it to happen consistantly.

Before messing with carb mixture --which will get you into costly trouble quickly-- Check the enrichment valve to be certain it is not partially open on the red manual lever. Check to be sure that it is closing fully when the key is released.

If that doesnt solve the problem, then search the forum for posts on adjusting carbs. Too lean will melt pistons.

caution

Cadet
Re: 1996 75hp force stumbles on hole shot

It doesnt happen all the time. only after the first launch. once it clears she good for the day. it feels like she is starving thats why i felt richening her would help. funny that u mentioned the enrichment valve because the only time this happens is after choken for the first start of the day. on another motor i have when u press the choke after a second or two u hear a click. now on this motor i dont hear a click. how do i go about check this valve. should i disassemble it and clean it?