Timing V6 135 mercury 1989

grant1

Cadet
I wondered if anyone can guide me through checking the timing on my 135 v6 mercury 1989,its the model with carbs, my manual still hasnt arrived and I would feel more comfortable if I check the igition timing proir to using it at the weekend, can anyone run me through the setting it should be at,I have noticed the markings on the flywheel,but am unsure of the procudure,not sure which plug is classed as No1(if thats the one to connect strobe to)not sure the revs/degrees to check,it does have the plastic cowling over the flywheel with ajustable pointers on too,
I thank you in advance
With best regards
Grant

Barnacle_Bill

Admiral
Re: Timing V6 135 mercury 1989

Best to wait until you get your manual. There is a certain procedure that must be followed to do this correctly. Look for link & sync in your manual.

grant1

Cadet

But it wont be here before the weekend and I need to use the boat on sunday, Thats why I was hoping someone might be able to post me a link with the procedure or run through the pointers, but I thank you for your advice.
Grant

aussieflash

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Looks like we have same motor though mine is 88 V6 135. 1.Throttle Pick up 11d ATDC.
2.maximum spark advance Timing 16d BTDC.3. At cranking speed 18d BTDC.Also #1 plug is top plug on starboard side.About to do my carbs so would love to hear how you go as I will have to do it myself.

j_martin

Admiral

The timing pointer is adjujstable on that engine. The timing doesn't mean anything at all unless you go through the linkage adjustment and timing procedure which, among other things, checks and sets that pointer position. If you just slap a light on it, you may actually mis-adjust the timing.