Bimini on the highway up or down?

Texas Parrothead

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I have a new Bimini on my boat and was wondering if it is ok to transport it for launch with it up, boot on and wind brace poles supporting it? Or should it be lowered?

Here is a pic of my set up and how I would be intending to transport it.

2010_10_152.jpg

2010_10_153.jpg

G

Re: Bimini on the highway up or down?

Up is ok as long you don't find anything thats too low to damage it otherwise take it down for the sake of you $$$$$

Bondo

Staff member

Ayuh,... It'll last longer puttin' it down...

Knot Waiting

Senior Chief Petty Officer

^^ I agree, down. Why risk it, all the shaking from travel will wear joints and fittings out faster, plus bugs and other airborne stuff will make a mess of the bimini cover over time.

Fireman431

Rear Admiral

Agree with the others, unless you are just going to run 1/2 mile to the ramp. If you don't have pull rings in the struts, replace the bolts with the proper size rings. Makes short work of dropping the top.

That's a great looking rig. Why take the chance of damaging it?

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

Travelling like that is how I lost my bimini. A piece broke and it was all she wrote.

DaNinja

Lieutenant

I have a similar setup on the SeaRay. I actually tried towing it back with the bimini up and open. I figured the speed on the road wasn't that much more than the speed on the lake. A few miles later, I pulled off and folded the bimini and laid it back in its cover.

Up and in it's cover would probably be okay, but I fold, cover, and lay it back for transport. It reduces the stress on the bimini.

aspeck

Staff member

I have transported mine in the up position (with the cover on it) a couple of times, and I don't like to do it. I only go about 8 miles to the ramp and never at high speeds, but still don't like the way it runs when it is up. Unless I am in too big of a hurry, I lay it down (have to drop it to fit in it in the garage anyway)!

DaNinja

Lieutenant

After having a support failure on the Starcraft while on the water, I figured it wasn't worth the extra stress of towing either boat with the bimini in the up position.
The Starcraft wouldn't fit on the lift with it up, anyway. With the SeaRay I was more concerned with a failure on the highway.

castaic piper

Seaman Apprentice

Travelling like that is how I lost my bimini. A piece broke and it was all she wrote.

Thats how I lost mine too. Dont trust the plastic hardware. Mine now has all stainless hardware on the new top.

Texas Parrothead

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks Guys!

Sounds like that definitely answers my question.

Down it is!!

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Gorgeous rig by the way.

TestEngr

Seaman Apprentice

First of all, great looking boat! Why risk damage by leaving it up. I would stow it in the down position. If you have them, use trailering struts, which work pretty good. I use them. Fairly inexpensive to buy.

Bondo

Staff member

Thanks Bond-o.....I have to ask.....what does Ayuh stand for?

typically means "yes" and is primarily used in the New England area.

Ayuh,.. Actually, it's Mostly in far Downeast Maine....;)

The rest of New England just tries to take credit for it...

lonesouth

Petty Officer 2nd Class

why have the support poles at all? Why not just leave it down when not in use?

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

You want them when you are operating the boat and don't want the bimini up. On many boats, mine included, you can't just lay it down when not in use. It would get in the way of the cockpit.

TestEngr

Seaman Apprentice

I do not know if this is really true or not, but a boat dealer told me that sometimes the dye they use in bimini tops will bleed onto the top of the gelcoat or seat vinyl and stain it, when it's stowed in the down position and in full sun, and is usually more prominent with dark colors, like black. This is the reason to travel on the highway with trailering struts....keeps the bimini down in the stowed position but up off the boat to prevent any dye from bleeding.