Stiff Recoil when cold

Quacks

Seaman Apprentice
when i was doing some late season duck hunting last fall, it was pretty cold and when i tried pulling the recoil it was really stiff and would barely come out; any ideas on how to fix this? pulls fine when its warm!
15hp evinrude '76

thanks

raczekp1

Lieutenant
Re: Stiff Recoil when cold

to much grease on recoil spring.when cold outside, spring strip starts to glue to itself.
i think you should unscrew recoil starter and clean this, using WD 40, try to flush out old grease
let it be without cleaning its easy to break spring using recoil

boobie

Supreme Mariner

The best way to fix this prob is to take the rewind off of the mtr, disassemble it and clean it up. Lube the spring and housing with a lite coating of BRP Tripleguard grease and the put it back together. That way you'll know the spring has the proper lubrication.

cr2k

Captain

Don't use WD-40 as this stuff is designed to coat it is for water displacment. Use as a lube and it will get sticky and gum up the recoil.
Clean and use light grease like white grease sparingly. Or a shout of Tri-Flow on the spring.
Wear gloves and eye protection when disassembling the recoil mechanism, that spring contains a lot of energy.