1990 Johnson 9.9hp tiller / pull start question

automated11

Recruit
I purchased this outboard last year and it runs great! My question however has to do with starting this motor. I cant figure out how to get it to fast idle when starting.... I have a service manual and cant find anything. Basically if in neutral I cant turn the tiller handle, most outboards I could do this so I could get a fast idle. Is there and adjustment out of whack or something or just safeties? If it is safeties is there another way to get it to fast idle? I can normally get it to start on first pull however it will then die. If its warm enough it will chug and then get into a normal idle and be fine. How ever if its too cold I would most likely start and get it in gear fast and give it throttle to get it going. Any help would be great.

Thanks,

Jason

raczekp1

Lieutenant
Re: 1990 Johnson 9.9hp tiller / pull start question

becouse if you take of upper cover you wil notice in Left side, just under flywheel on timing plate is some kinde of stop limiter, playing with shift leaver.in neutral this stop limiter can move just a litle until touch gear "leaver"-no 49, but if you put forward this limiter can move all the way

http://www.boats.net/parts/search/BRP/JOHNSON/1990/J10RESC 1990/CYLINDER & CRANKCASE/parts.html

if you want to have more timing movement you have to grind out some pice of metal from this limiter on timing base

automated11

Recruit

So can u just remove some material from this device and allow full operation?

automated11

Recruit

I have read this and my motor runs great. The only issue is starting without being able to give it a little throttle. If i could give it throttle I have no doubt I could get it to start first pull every time!

automated11

Recruit

On a side note once the engine is warm it idles fine. With even a 10 second throttle to get the engine warm in gear then when i go to neutral it idles perfect. Idle through full throttle no problems. Only issue is when starting in neutral.

raczekp1

Lieutenant

what about spark plugs and the gap.is it corect?
i think start with carb, plugs,spark plugs wires.
one thing more.
on timing base is a cam, ju can adjust a litle more:
trotle cam.
when you twist grip this activate timing base and trotle cam moves carb cam folower.
in this trotle cam is a screw.
play with this

rwilso

Seaman

Check the roller cam to see if it is worn, if it is try putting some tape around it and then try it to see what happens