Wiring a RIB

ssobol

Chief Petty Officer
I have a Zodiac Pro II 470 RIB. It used to have a dual nav light on the front of the console. I got a new console and have to come up with new lights. I was thinking of putting a post light in the bow. This boat does not have a bow compartment built into the hull, so I'll have to come up with a mounting bracket. My real problem is getting power up to the front of the boat.

Zodiac tells me that there is internal structure to the hull and gave me a diagram from a different boat and said mine would be "similar". Since there are no access panels to the hull I would have to cut holes. I could make holes in the deck easy enough, but drilling any horizontal holes to get wire to front would be tough.

I was thinking that I could run the wires up the side under the tube between the tube and the outer part of the hull. I would deflate the tubes, run the wires and cover them with waterproof tape, and then re-inflate the tubes. For LED lights I'd only be using 16 gauge wire.

Does anyone think that there would be any long term consequences to the tubes if I did the wiring this way?

Thanks.

likalar

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Wiring a RIB

I've hidden a fuel line that way (tucked between the tubes and the hull), with no bad consequences. The key is proper inflation, which keeps the tubes from flexing/chafing unnecessarily. As a precaution, partially deflate the tubes yearly for an inspection. Have you made your mind up not to mimic the old light setup? The idea of a solid post protruding into the bow area sounds dangerous to personal safety, and would likely be in the way of someone setting an anchor or helping while beaching the vessel.

Larry

Syzygy

Seaman Apprentice

It is tough to know if you will drill in a spot where you won't hit a stringer. Those older Pro II series Zodiacs were not intended to have under-deck wire routing and though you could attempt it, you may damage some internal structure and I'd advise against it.

Much easier to run wires along the underside of the tube (not so far down that they would be squeezed between the tube and hull). Then, cover it with adhered PVC fabric tape (seam tape, same color as your tubes) so that the wire was not exposed. Can be unglued later, if ever needed, and a much safer and easier approach than cutting holes in the fiberglass.

S-

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner

You could use a hose with sufficient diameter to pass al wiring secured to deck edge, patch it with duct tape, sib fabric, whatever...

Happy Boating

ssobol

Chief Petty Officer

I can't really rig the nav lights up like they used to be on the old console. The new console is a different shape and style so there's no real place to but nav lights were they can been seen properly.

I was thinking of a removable post light at the front. It'll only be in place when I need to use the lights, which probably won't be all the often but better to be prepared than not.

The seam tape along the tube seems like a reasonable idea. A piece of 3/8" hose and some screw down clamps along the edge of the FG hull would also work.

Thanks.