WiFi question?

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner
This concerns a WiFi laptop that I want to use to access a WiFi capable printer. The laptop is currentlly plugged into a Cat5 cable for internet access.

If I install the printer (do not have it yet) will there be any conflict between the WiFi printer communication and the hard wired cable internet performance?

hrdwrkingacguy

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: WiFi question?

as long as the laptop has a wireless adapter your fine...Some printers are bluetooth and some are the same as a wireless access point(Shows up a device on your network) as far as I know...:eek:

Fireman431

Rear Admiral

I don't think there will be confusion. From what I've read, your laptop will talk to your printer as point-to-point, vs over an over-the-internet connection.

PiratePast40

Lieutenant Commander

I don't think there will be confusion. From what I've read, your laptop will talk to your printer as point-to-point, vs over an over-the-internet connection.
I just bought a Lexmark printer and that's how that connection works.

eavega

Lieutenant

Of course, you could always get a cheap wireless/wired router, then you could connect your printer to the router, and it be available to any computer on your network, whether they are connected via Wi Fi or copper. It would also untether your laptop from the copper connection.

-E

CobiaXL

Banned

Of course, you could always get a cheap wireless/wired router, then you could connect your printer to the router, and it be available to any computer on your network, whether they are connected via Wi Fi or copper. It would also untether your laptop from the copper connection.

-E
I 2nd that..why would ya wanna be tethered when there is wireless available.Cheap wireless router can be had for 30 bucks or so.

j_martin

Admiral

The way my home network evolved, all computers except one laptop are wired. The printer is wireless. It's all good.

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

The way my home network evolved, all computers except one laptop are wired. The printer is wireless. It's all good.

I have a wired system with 6 stations throughout the house. I have a cable modem, a 4 port router and a several? port switch. One of the stations is for my streaming video connection to the BluRay DVD. One of the stations is used for my Wife's new Win 7 64 bit Dell laptop.

We have been unable to get her laptop to communicate with my old HP 2100 laser printer that is hooked to my XP PC computer. I am worn out trying.

My plan is this. I have an unused Belkin Router that my son had used off his station. I intend to move it and install it between the cable modem and the 4 port router. Then I hoped to get a little cheap Brothers Wireless Laser printer so my Wife can print off of her wireless Laptop. At the same time, I'd hoped to leave her laptop connected to the wired network for reliability.

Again restating my question, will my wife's laptop communicate with the printer, via wireless, while left connected to the internet via the cable?

eavega

Lieutenant

yes, as long as the printer can be set up to run peer-to-peer (most can). What will happen is that once your printer is set up to run peer-to-peer, it will broadcast as its own wireless network. Go back to the laptop and connect to that network with the wireless adapter, and you should be able to communicate with the printer.

I'll float you one more alternative. Rather than buying a new printer, look for a network print server that is Win7 compatible. It will be a small box that acts as a network adapter for a printer so its directly available on your network rather than through your XP box. One end plugs into the printer cable, the other end plugs into a wired port on your network. That way, the printer will be available to any computer on the network.

Rgds

Last edited:

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral

I have done exactly what your describing with no problems, running both cable and wireless and things work just fine.

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

yes, as long as the printer can be set up to run peer-to-peer (most can). What will happen is that once your printer is set up to run peer-to-peer, it will broadcast as its own wireless network. Go back to the laptop and connect to that network with the wireless adapter, and you should be able to communicate with the printer.

I'll float you one more alternative. Rather than buying a new printer, look for a network print server that is Win7 compatible. It will be a small box that acts as a network adapter for a printer so its directly available on your network rather than through your XP box. One end plugs into the printer cable, the other end plugs into a wired port on your network. That way, the printer will be available to any computer on the network.

Rgds

I do not understand about the peer to peer set up. Can you elaborate?

As far as the 'network print server', that sounds good if my older HP 2100 with its parallel port cable connection can adapt to it. I would prefer not to have to have a second printer. The other issue is whether or not I can get the 2100 to work with Win 7, at all.

There are drivers out there that are supposed to be usable with Win 7, but currently things have been complicated by trying to run the printer thru the XP PC. Because of the physical seperation of the Win 7 laptop to the 2100 printer, I am not able to hook the printer directly to the laptop to see if it will work. I can see the printer on the network, thru the laptop, but cannot operate it.

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral

Sounds like you need to pick up a parallel port to USB convertor, then you should be able to plug in your 2100 to any laptop...your going to find most of the current print servers work only with USB, you would have to find an old one that has a parallel port on it, then it may not have the right software to run it.

You cheapest solution with the least headaches is probably going to be pick up an inexpensive wireless printer, which should work with any of your computers that has a wireless card, you can get printers with wireless b/g/n now a days, so as long as you have one of those cards in your laptops and the drivers are available, which if it is a new computer and printer, they should be no problem, you should be good to go..

Peer to peer is really nothing to worry about, most if not all wireless printers now a days, will automatically configure to work properly without the need to worry about it.

One thing to add, windows 7 has a compatibility mode that allows you to specify how a program runs, if you have a virtual capable processor, it will also allow you to actually run XP in virtual mode. I have tried the XP virtual mode and it was slow, but if you have the right processor, you can do it, albeit not the best solution.

But again, as long as the new printer has the wireless card, it should only be a very quick set up to get it going.

gss036

Commander

If your are a COMCAST customer, go to the service center and will give you a router for free.