Fuel Pump Question (hoping to put the nail in the coffin of a long standing problem)

mrallen007

Petty Officer 1st Class
Ok. I've been working for a while to narrow down an outboard issue. The long and short of it is the thing won't stay running. I'll spare you the details.

I went to West Marine today to buy a new fuel tank. A guy there agreed it sounded like a fuel delivery problem (clogged lines, clogged jets, fuel pump, something). He suggested this. He said to pull the fuel line from the carbs and point it down into another tank or coffee can or something to catch the gas and turn the key to turn the motor over. He said the way the fuel pump works is the pistons drive the diaphram in the fuel pump. So, merely running it off the starter should pump fuel into the coffee can if everything is running well. By doing this I can begin to isoloate the problem. If I get fuel, the fuel delivery to that point works and I should look at the carbs. If not, then something is wrong and I can begin so suspect the fuel pump.

My first question for all you guys is this. Does this theory hold water? Will this work the way he says?

At any rate, I tried it. Here is what happened.
1. Pulled the fuel line from the carbs and pointed it down the snout of another tank.
2. I primed the bulb and fuel gushed through the lines into the gas can.
3. I ran the starter and not another single drop came through the line.
4. I removed the other gas can to get a better look.
5. I ran the starter some more and not a drop of gas came through the line.

So, now... Should that much fuel rush through the system by squeezing the primer bulb? Would that not flood the system? And since nothing came out when I ran the starter, do you agree this sounds like a fuel pump rebuild??

Long post I know, but I'm hoping this puts me to the end of a longstanding and annoying problem. Any help is appreciated!!!

Billy

Barnacle_Bill

Admiral
Re: Fuel Pump Question (hoping to put the nail in the coffin of a long standing probl

Fuel should have pulsed out of the hose when you had it disconnected. Rebuild the pump.

mrallen007

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Fuel Pump Question (hoping to put the nail in the coffin of a long standing probl

AH HA!! Finally a lead!! I'm going to do that now. Thanks!

mrallen007

Petty Officer 1st Class

Ok. So I went and pulled the fuel pump off. The diaphrams were very weak. At least in my opinion they looked stretched out. There were dark piles of deposits in two of the chambers. The small filters between the chambers looked clogged as well. All in all, the thing looks really gunked up. So I ordered a diaphpram kit that will replace all the affected parts. Hopefully that's all there is to it. Once I have her actually running, I can tune and tweak and clean. Looks like it may not hurt to replace the fuel lines as well, but that will come a bit later. Thanks for all the help!

j_martin

Admiral

FYI, The crap in the fuel pump used to be fuel hose. Change em when you do the fuel pump.

Stay away from aftermarket, it won't flow enough fuel for the V6.

If there's a fuel filter between the pump and the carbs, it's hosed. If there isn't one, the carbs are hosed.

Those little disks aren't filters, they're the valves. If they were rubber, they were over 8 years old. The new ones are plastic.

mrallen007

Petty Officer 1st Class

After she quit on me last season, I replaced the fuel filter and she hasn't run since. So, hopefully the carbs were protected. I'll definately invest in some new fuel lines though and I'll grab a new filter for good measure.

Do you think it will matter that the valves are plastic now instead of rubber? Does that make any difference?

j_martin

Admiral

Do you think it will matter that the valves are plastic now instead of rubber? Does that make any difference?

The rubber valves will fail quickly with our modern fuel blends. The plastic ones work well.

It is possible that the fuel lines between the fuel filter and the carbs shelled out or are shelling out also.