New Trim Assembly and Cracks!

jcupo6

Chief Petty Officer
I have two questions regarding my 1990 Johnson 225hp outboard. My trim assembly needs to be replaced, and the shaft has a crack. The boat storage yard has a Johnson midsection and trim assembly for a 150hp, is there any chance this would work for me (I'm guessing no, but I hope so!)? I talked to the owner, who says he'll give a good deal if it'll work for me. Here is their ebay add.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/JOHN...2825081QQptZBoatQ5fPartsQ5fAccessoriesQ5fGear

If that works, ignore the next paragraph...

Here is a picture of my motor, you can kinda see the crack on the housing by the four bolts. The removable plate is cracked and the housing Right above the plate is cracked a little. I was told this doesn't need to be sealed but if I wanted to 3m 5200 would work fine. Does that sound correct? The lower unit has been pressure tested and is okay.

IMG_0839.jpg

j_k_bisson

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: Almost Ready!

If you are talking about the lower motor mount plate that covers the rubber motor mount. Just pick up the new plate. I would not worry about it too much though. Unless you run it balls to the wall all the time. The invest into the 30-50 bucks for a new plate. The plate does not cover any internal working of the motor.

jcupo6

Chief Petty Officer

If you are talking about the lower motor mount plate that covers the rubber motor mount. Just pick up the new plate. I would not worry about it too much though. Unless you run it balls to the wall all the time. The invest into the 30-50 bucks for a new plate. The plate does not cover any internal working of the motor.

Thanks for the reply! Yes, the plate is cracked and also the casting right above the plate which I'm more concerned about... I need to get a closer picture! This will have to do for now.

IMG_08392.jpg

Thanks again!

nymack66

Petty Officer 1st Class

Looks like its corrosion under the plates that created this problem, also you need to examined the mounts looks like they are busted also. You will need to check the top mount also. I have two covers if you are interested PM me. Check bay for mounts ......

jcupo6

Chief Petty Officer

Looks like its corrosion under the plates that created this problem, also you need to examined the mounts looks like they are busted also. You will need to check the top mount also. I have two covers if you are interested PM me. Check bay for mounts ......

Excuse my stupidity, these outboards are still new to me...:redface: What mounts are you talking about?

jcupo6

Chief Petty Officer

Ok .. this is for reference only you need to verify if they fit yours...
Here is the Lower rubber mounts on ebay http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Evin...6251896QQptZBoatQ5fPartsQ5fAccessoriesQ5fGear

Here are the covers
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/JOHN...3830788QQptZBoatQ5fPartsQ5fAccessoriesQ5fGear

Thanks, I will check to see what condition they are in!

Can anyone help out with my original question about the trim assembly and shaft? Will the one listed in the link above work with my setup?

j_k_bisson

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Yes they will work. You will need to clean and paint them. but I thinkyou expect that.

j_k_bisson

Lieutenant Junior Grade

If you want to get into this that far by all means. I wouldn't thought. I would pull the cap off while supporting the motor. Check and see how much damage is don to the mid. If there is not alot then just replace the cap and mount.

jcupo6

Chief Petty Officer

If you want to get into this that far by all means. I wouldn't thought. I would pull the cap off while supporting the motor. Check and see how much damage is don to the mid. If there is not alot then just replace the cap and mount.

Okay, thanks for the suggestion. The only reason I was looking at this was I also need the trim assembly, and that includes everything. If there is in fact a large amount of damage, would setup even work considering it's for a 150 Johnson and not a 225? The shaft lengths are the same.