1996 evinrude 150 fuel pump

bondsman1

Recruit
Im having a problem with my vro pumping extra oil (1 tank of fuel(25gal) to one tank of oil) I guess my pump is going bad. My question is, do I need to buy a whole new pump or can I just plug to oil side so that I can mix the fuel/oil myself.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1996 evinrude 150 fuel pump

That is a symptom of an air leak in the gasoline line. Since the OMS pump is pumping air into the carbs, it needs more pump cycles to fill the carbs with gasoline and that means it pumps more oil.

Before you give up on the OMS pump, check for airleaks in the water seperator connections, main strainer under the airbox, fuel tank connections, primer bulb connections etc.

bondsman1

Recruit

When it first starts it smokes alot and then it clears out. It also does the same thing after ive fished awhile and then crank up to move spots and it keeps flooding out and smoking until it seems to clear out. Would that also be caused by an air leak?

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

You said it uses too much oil. Would extra oil cause it to smoke at startup - yes. Would extra oil cause it to flood, no, but you may be misreading the symptoms.

Would it cause more smoke upon restart, yes...

Too much oil can be caused by an air leak as I stated.

boobie

Supreme Mariner

You could also have a fuel restriction. This will also cause it to pump to much oil.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

If he has the Systems Check alarm, that would be activated upon detection of fuel restriction, and most likely would only occur at high speed. I think the '96 V6s had that alarm.

bondsman1

Recruit

Checked all fuel lines no leaks so I'm disconnecting vro. I've checked around and talk to a few local mechanics and they said it would be alright to cap the oil line and disconnect the wire harness so I can premix. Thanks for yalls input I appreciate it.

maui al

Cadet

I had a simuliar isue on a 1996 Johnson 130.I dead ended the oil lines and unplugged the connectors and went to pre-mix. I did this because I would prefer to mix my own gas and oil then I know that there is oil and it will work. At some point later my engine would act up like it was starving for fuel. I had a dealer check and he said the fuel pump was ok, then on a later trip it would act up again and I had my crew pump the primer buld to act as the fuel pump. so long as he was pumping we could maintain high revs. Without further investigation I replaced the fuel pump with a pre-mix pump. Several trips later the same thing happens, the engine starts to bog down and I mis read this as going into s.l.o.w. mode when it really was fuel starvation again. There was a fuel leak after the fuel pump but before the carbs and would only show up sometime at high revs. One of my other discoveries when you disconnect the wiring cap off the ends so the will not corroed or have any possibility to short to ground. I my case the fuel pump may not have had to be replaced, it may still be a good fuel pump and I still have it in thr garage. Check all your connections very carefully and put them under pressure if you can or if you have flat water run with the cover off and have someone look at all the lines when you are running. new fuel pumps are $400

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

You realize that although no fuel leaks out of a fitting, air could be leaking in, causing the over oiling experience you are seeing. Premix if you want, but I would make darn sure there are no airleaks before trashing the oil injection.