evinrude engine 70573-b wont propel

wizard7889

Recruit
my engine seems to be working great and propels my boat but only very slow about five miles/hr. Revolutions stay about 1k, when I accelerate the engine accelerates but it does not propel boat forward to the speed it used to, about 35 m/hr. Does anyone have any suggestions for me?

wilde1j

Vice Admiral
Re: evinrude engine 70573-b wont propel

Prop slipping:
1. Mark inner and outer hubs with indelible marker
2. Run boat to planning speed
3. Compare marks ? if they?ve moved relative to each other, hub is slipping
4. Remove prop
5. Take it to a propeller shop and have it rehubbed

Prop slipping marks.jpg

oldcatamount

Lieutenant Commander

If the motor is revving up but you're not moving, it generaly means you have a spun prop (where the prop seperates from the rubber mount inside the housing). You can check it by making a small hash mark with a Magic Marker on the prop hub and a corresponding mark on the edge of the prop itself. Take the boat for a little ride, when you come back, check to see if the two marks are still lined up. If they're not, you know you have a spun prop and it'll need to be repaired at a prop shop.

foresterjohn

Cadet

i am having a similar issue with loss of thrust at increased throttle. First run this spring today and when i gave it gas from the dock it sounded like it went a few yards and then like it went into neutral, high rpm and no propulsion. it will get up some speed then "spin". i am not completely dead in the water. I changed the gear oil last week and was worried i did something wrong. but looking at these posts it appears to be the prop. Trolls just fine.

my inner hub (per the above diagram) can spin freely now. is that bad or ok when it is out of gear?

my 6 year old, pole in hand, was not happy to have to head back in. dad blew it on this one.

F_R

Supreme Mariner

Are you telling us that the inner part can spin freely, while the blades stand still? That is slipping to the extreme. At least you know what is wrong.

foresterjohn

Cadet

Actually, it seems like some type of washer. is there one that goes there?