AQ120 circa 1977 cooling system problem - help!

matty_h

Recruit
Dear All,

Thanks for your time. Can anyone shed any light on the issue I have on my Volvo Penta AQ120 circa 1977.

After being winterized sicne October last year, I went to start it back up yesterday, as soon as I turned the engine over the overflow or bleed pipe located on the manifold started a pressurized rusty coloured stream of water.......straight into the bildge. I stopped straight away, not knowing what it is and fear of doing anymore damage to the engine.

Is there something blocked? Gasket gone?....im stuck and before I start to dismantle or call an engineer who will only look at it and do an inward gasp, thought one of you guys might be able to help me out?

Any info is much appreciated.

Best Wishes to all
Matt

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: AQ120 circa 1977 cooling system problem - help!

There is a drain valve on the bottom of the exhaust manifold, did you try closing it?

captmello

Captain

Welcome Matt,

Can you confirm the manifold was drained properly last fall??

It's hard to tell which pipe was leaking by your description. There isn't an overflow pipe that I'm aware of.

matty_h

Recruit

Welcome Matt,

Can you confirm the manifold was drained properly last fall??

It's hard to tell which pipe was leaking by your description. There isn't an overflow pipe that I'm aware of.

The manifold was drained properly yes, well to the best i could...you never know do you, you shake the boat as much as you can to get rid of all the water.....but its a Fairline Holiday. Just wondered if its a blockage in the leg but then would that cause this over flow pipe to have water coming out???? Some one recommended a new manifold being of its age.....we did have a hard winter during December...im scared to start it up...it was running perfectly last year.

many thanks
Matt

matty_h

Recruit

Im going to check actually.....this closed would cause it wouldnt it.....Dont think I did but I will check it...just in case. Thanks Don

Don S

Post a picture of what you are referring to.

matty_h

Recruit

Hi Don,

I won't be down the marina now till Saturday....I will take a pic and post it on here of this pipe. maybe then it will shed some light on what Im poorly trying to explain......its so hard to explain with it not in front of us!....If I can get down there during this week and take a quick pic I will.

Thanks for all your help Don, much appreciated mate!

matt (from the uk, if your interested...wish we had something like this site over here, its fantastic!)

Don S

.wish we had something like this site over here, its fantastic!

You do, you are on it right now aren't you ;)

matty_h

Recruit

yes I am, just having a surf around the site.....this is great!....we have www.boatmad.com but this beats it hands down!