1978 Chrysler Bass Runner 85 trihull -finding out this thing is pretty rare!

superharmonix

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I bought this boat in August, and have taken it out multiple times. The previous owner did alot of work to the thing, and I have done quite a bit myself. By the way, I am running a 1978 85hp Johnson Javelin Sea Horse. I am getting ready to replace some O rings on the trim n' tilt and change out the lower Unit oil as well as grease up all the various parts.. :)
I am curious, however, do any of you know where online I can find more information on the Chrysler boats? I searched high and low on Google, and iboats and just can not find anything. I am mainly just looking for any information I can get, especially pictures, stories, ideas for future projects with this boat.

I love this boat, and have become quite attached! I named her "Woman at the Well" after the story in the bible.

Any ideas on where to find more info on this boat would be grand!
Thanks!

Attachments

• Woman at the Well - Proposal! 014.JPG
    Woman at the Well - Proposal! 014.JPG
    131.7 KB · Views: 1
  • IMAG0182.jpg
    IMAG0182.jpg
    151 KB · Views: 1

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1978 Chrysler Bass Runner 85 trihull -finding out this thing is pretty rare!

The Chrysler Crew (Chrysler Marine Website) Sign up and try the Thursday night chat room at 9pm E.S.T. and talk to Dave or Franz. Or contact Dave Kain at dave@hurrikain.com. These guys run a yearly Chrysler "Nationals" in the midwest.

superharmonix

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: 1978 Chrysler Bass Runner 85 trihull -finding out this thing is pretty rare!

Thanks Frank1 I will try that indeed.

Very nice boat you have there. Chrysler outboards were produced in Hartford, WI. They may have made other aspects of the boat there as well. I was very young and vaguely remember some boats by the shipping area when they were completed. I grew up in that area and several neighbors had Chrysler boats in their yards. One of my neighbors worked in R&D for the engine department. I eventually started working for a small engine shop. We would see our fair share of the Chrysler boats, and that boat you have there is only the second one I have seen. My boss at the engine shop owned one and that boat was always fun to go out on. Yours looks like new yet from what I can see with the pics.

I would like to help you out and get some first hand info from some of the workers that built these boats, however all of the ones I know that worked there have passed on. Sorry I could not help with too many details.

Matt

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

That is an extremely cool looking hull. Would be cooler with a period correct big 'ol Chrysler outboard on it of course but we'll let you slide. That Johnson is a great motor. Good luck with it.

Willyclay

Captain

According to www.fiberglassics.com, the Chrysler Boat Corporation was formed in May 1965 with the purchase of the Lone Star Boat Company and they stopped building boats in 1979. Good luck with that great old boat and motor!

superharmonix

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks so much for the replies peeps! I would LOVE to talk to someone who has one of these. Like I said above, I have searched all over and just can not find any Chrysler bass boats! There's a funny story behind this boat purchase. I'll have to share it another time. In the meantime, happy boating!