Intermittent Starting Problem

NeilB

Recruit
I've been trying to diagnose an intermittent starting issue on the Merc 470 in my 1980 Glasply. From time to time I'll turn the key and the gages will work but the starter won't fire. I read Don's great post about tracing the problem but my "reality" doesn't match the diagrams. The starter on my engine doesn't appear to have a solenoid attached to it. It's a single round cylinder. There is a solenoid mounted to the block just forward of the starter. Would this be the starter solenoid or the slave solenoid? It has a yellow/red wire that goes into the wiring harness to the harness plug but I don't see another solenoid along the path or in the area of the harness plug and circuit breaker. BTW when I jump between the red and yel/red on the solenoid I know of, the starter does crank when the problem is occurring. Is it possible that this would be the original configuration (one solenoid) or perhaps someone removed the slave? Or am I missing something else? There's no obvious signs that the wiring harness was butchered. There are two wires along the way that exit and return to/from a safety switch on the shift linkage, which begs another question. Are there typically two neutral safety switches, one on the linkage and one inside the trottle/remote control body? Many thanks for any help you can provide.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Intermittent Starting Problem

There is a solenoid mounted to the block just forward of the starter. Would this be the starter solenoid or the slave solenoid?

That is the ONLY solenoid for that model. Treat it like the slave solenoid. One of the large terminals on the solenoid is always hot and is hooked directly to the battery. If the solenoid click, check the other large terminal to see if there is power.

Bondo

Staff member

From time to time I'll turn the key and the gages will work but the starter won't fire.

Ayuh,... Welcome Aboard,....

Check, 'n CLEAN the Grounds...

NeilB

Recruit

Don, as you said there is a connection directly to the battery. I did have power to the large terminal and when I jumped between that terminal and the yel/red terminal it did operate the starter so I'm guessing the problem is further up steam. I was able to hear a faint click when I turned the key but I don't think it was coming from the solenoid. It may have been arcing that I was hearing (unfortunately I didn't have a helper at the time and couldn't get my ear close enough). So far the problem hasn't been consistent enough to find. Is it correct that one of the reasons a slave solenoid was/is used was to avoid higher current/heavier gauge wire to the key switch? I've got to find the problem because it's amazing how unsettled everyone gets when they see you open up the engine compartment offshore.

Bondo

Staff member

Is it correct that one of the reasons a slave solenoid was/is used was to avoid higher current/heavier gauge wire to the key switch?

Yes....

Did you check, 'n Clean the Ground path...

Electricity has to do a full circle...

NeilB

Recruit

Bond-o, I did visually check it but you've shamed me into getting out my wire brush. I'm willing to try anything at this point.