Mercury 125hp prop shaft

parrafooty

Recruit
Hi all I have recently purchased a 1996 125hp merc outboard (2+2 system). The motor runs great but has a little trouble finding forward gear. There is too much play in the prop shaft away from the lower leg. what this basically means is that when the motor should be in gear the prop isnt spinning. I can free spin the prop by hand both directions. if i push the shaft in it engages. similarly when running if i trim up a bit the weight of the prop moves the shaft enough to engage. any ideas why this could be happening? I have adjusted the selector the issue is definately somewhere in the lower leg.

CharlieB

Vice Admiral
Re: Mercury 125hp prop shaft

Just how much 'end play' is there on the prop shaft?

The first thing to check with any shifting problem is disconnect the shift cable (with the motor OFF) and MANUALLY shift the linkage while testing/turning the prop by hand.

Reverse should lock the prop in both directions, Forward the prop should 'ratchet' CW and lock CCW, Neutral should turn freely.

parrafooty

Recruit
Re: Mercury 125hp prop shaft

Hi I have done all testing with and without the shift cable attached. like i said 99% sure its a lower leg issue. there is approx 1-1.5cm (1/2 inch) play.
the prop behave as u would expect in neutral and reverse it is just not quite right in forward.