Perfect Seal vs. 5200

Brentathon

Petty Officer 1st Class
The manual says to use Perfect Seal on the 2 plastic plugs that go into the holes I cut in my Alpha gimbal housing (for a swivel shaft replacement job); is Perfect Seal really better than 3M 5200?.......good for long-term below waterline applications?

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Perfect Seal vs. 5200

Those plugs shouldn't be below the waterline, if they are, then they shouldn't have been used to begin with.
it probably won't hurt to use 5200, I guess Mercruiser could have been giving you false information so it would leak quicker.

Brentathon

Petty Officer 1st Class

Well, I guess they're not really "below waterline" all the time,....but they will often be either at or below the waterline with people on board, especially if people are toward the back of the boat. That's why I'm doing this swivel shaft/seal replacement.......the seal would be below water with people on board.
So, I have a tube of black 5200, and was thinking of use that instead of the perfect seal.

stonyloam

Vice Admiral

I would consider that a permanent repair, and treat it accordingly. Seal them in so they NEVER can come out. If you ever have to get in there again, just drill em out. I sealed mine by epoxying the aluminum hole drill plugs back in place.

StevNimrod

Petty Officer 1st Class

I guess I'm not seeing the need to go that far. You're looking to seal threads, so why skip over a thread sealant (Perfect Seal)?

My experience with 5200 has been that it's great for a very limited set of things, but otherwise is overkill and really good at making more work than necessary (either now or in the future).

Brentathon

Petty Officer 1st Class

Well Steve, you haven't steered me wrong, yet. But I guess there's more to the story.
Back when my mechanic started to do the "drilling holes" method to replace the swivel shaft seal, he drilled 1 1/4" holes, instead of 1 1/8". I just ran a 1" tap through the holes anyway, and it was able to cut some threads....they're just a bit over-sized.
So, I guess I was just wondering, which is better for a long-term glue/sealer for plastic and aluminum, that is just slightly above waterline, and often below waterline with passengers aboard.....