Fuel

MIDBOB

Cadet
Suzuki DF 140 was starting and running great but had no fuel/water separator. After installing separator between tank and bulb, bulb would not get firm and after motor started it would run briefly and quit. After by passing the separator as was original install, motor cranks and runs perfect. Any ideas as to whey new separator caused lack of pressure and flow? If this has been answered before, Sorry, I could not find it, Thanks

Bifflefan

Commander
Re: Fuel

not pressure, vacuum.
Most likely you have a leak in the line or have it mounted in a place that it doesnt like.
Did you fill the filter/seperator with fuel before you put it on?

MIDBOB

Cadet

Thanks for the reply: Did not fill the filter with fuel before installing but did pump bulb immediately after installing and motor ran several minutes ok. Only when a few days later I put boat in water for a trip and bulb was not firm and motor only ran a minute or two as if using only fuel in the motor. The installation added about 3 feet to the entire run - from filter to bulb. I re-tighten all clamps before bypassing filter to preclude leak in line but did not help. Only when bypassing the new filter did it run w/o stopping.

MIDBOB

Cadet

Seems like advice is to check with clear tube for bubbles - can check with gauge. Double clamp hose connections and re-tighten, Also check barb connections and spin on cartridge. Will do and report back. Thanks to all.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

Try the water separating fuel filter between the bulb and the motor.

gss036

Commander

I would think that you would be sucking air around the filter base. Pull it off and check the gasket/"O" ring, put a coating of oil on the gasket. Make sure you have it installed correctly, there is an inlet and outlet side of the base for the filter. It could also be that you have a anti siphon valve it your your tank and the engine doesn't have the "UMP" vacuum power to over come the slight pressure needed.