cooling problems

seand

Cadet
I'm hoping someone out there can help. I have a 73 glastron cv-16 ss with the Volvo penta 4 cylinder and a Chrysler marine outdrive with volvo penta tags. My problem is when i hook up the garden hose to run the motor no water is getting into the engine. the impeller is bad on the front of the engine, that's getting replaced soon before i try to start it again. But i would think the water would at least make it through the out drive from the pressure of the hose. Is there another impeller in the outdrive that could be bad? I really don't want to pull the outdrive apart unless i have to. any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks

seand

Cadet
Re: cooling problems

I have looked at an exploded view of the outdrive and saw nothing that looks like an impeller. I hooked the hose up and blew the water backwards, I got a small hand full of rubber from the impeller that disintegrated I'm guessing. It took it a second to make a low popping noise then the water and rubber came out.

frank246

Petty Officer 1st Class

Hi seand ..hows the rebuilt goin on.. there is only one pump on the volvo...the one on the engine front.
-No such thing as a Chrysler outdrive ... you have a 100% genuine Volvo-Penta 270 outdrive...made in Sweden.

seand

Cadet

Hey Frank246, the rebuild is going a little slower than I had hoped. Most of the interior is is redone and ready to go back in except for the seats. I have stripped it down to the hull and sanded it down for paint. I'm hoping to get that done soon so I can put it back together and re wire the whole thing. Now im trying to flush out all of the old impeller parts out of the engine and out drive. Thanks again for all of your help, I'll try to post some pictures soon. oh yea the chrysler marine tag on the outdrive isnt the chrysler co. in the states?

frank246

Petty Officer 1st Class

Then..you have a special :)
Chrysler brand labeled Volvo Penta outdrives, the same as Glastron did on the Volvo engines (Glastron Custom)
As far as I know Glastron never used Chrysler brand outdrives on their boats.. but you never know.
Possible some PO swapped the Volvo for the Chrysler becouse of some technical problem.
Got a picture of it?
Good luck!