Mercruiser Gimbal Ring Bolts

ricksi

Seaman Apprentice
I had play in my Alpha drive (R/MR), and did some searches. After reading about the 2 gimbal ring bolts, I checked mine and they were barely torqued. I noticed in the threads that 55 ft lbs seemed to the appropriate spec. I looked up the torque specs in my Number 6 hardcopy service manual and it indicated 25 ft pounds. I searched again online and found a pdf version of the number 6 manual (section 4b) and it indicated a torque of 50-55 ft lbs. There seems to be a version difference with the manuals. Mine is 90-12934-1 and the pdf is 90-12934-2, so I assume version 2 of the manual. I torqued the bolts to 30 ft lbs and it has removed almost all of the play. I don't want to torque it anymore and risk breaking the ring without clarification as to the correct specification. Has anyone come across this and know the reason for the contradiction, and more importantly, the correct spec?

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Mercruiser Gimbal Ring Bolts

The -2 is the newest version of the manual from 1997. If you look at the date on your -1 manual, you will find an earlier year which indicates the year of the updates being added.

ricksi

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks for that. What I'm more concerned with is which torque value do I use on my gimbal ring?

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

The newest.