Carb issues????

flmike33

Cadet
I am building a Johnson 200hp Crossflow. I had the cylinders .030 over and the intake & exhaust ported. Want to make it a 225. I have 3 set of carbs for johnson v6 motors. 1 of them is supposed to be 225hp carbs. How can i tell which are which. 2 sets have jets in them. Jets say 33 on them. Those 2 carb set say 1 5/16 and 1 1/4 on the front of them. The last one says 1 5/16 but has no internal top jets. And has choke butterflies on bottom two carbs. Which ones should i use and what are they all?

SparkieBoat

Captain
Re: Carb issues????

I am not sure which carbs/jets are which. I will tell you that there sometimes is more to the different HP motors than just carbs. you may have to do some experimenting to get the carbs jetted properly. each motor is specifically designed for a very specific size carb and jets. So you can run into a lot of problems when you go tinkering with it any. you really need to find someone who knows their stuff to help you. as far a jet #s you could look up a parts schematic and find out what size jets came on a 225/200, maybe that would help you some. I cannot remember ever seeing a butterfly choke that did not have butterflies on all carbs..so that is strange. I would assume the 1 5/16 would be the ones to use.

flmike33

Cadet

ok. Well thanks for your input. I did make some calls. #57 jets with 1 5/16 carbs are supposed to be for 225's from what everyone tells me. I had 28 in one set, 31 in another, and one set had no numbers. But they were way bigger then the others. The butterfly chokes are old school carbs. Late 70's early 80's i was told. From what i understand, the difference in HP is having the case ported, different heads, intake manifold and carbs. I started with a 200hp block. Had it bored .030 over. Had it ported. Put all 225 parts on it. (Crank,Heads,Intake,Electronics,and Carbs. I think everything should be ok. Just wanna make sure i have the rite jets so i don't run lean. If anyone has any more info, It would be much appreciated.

flmike33

Cadet

Thanks. My specialty is jetskis. But i've been gettin into boats the past few years. I have a 1985 block and 1987 parts. The link you posted just sends me right back to my iboats posting.

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner

That original 200 block is identical to the early small bore 235 (149 cubic inch) blocks. Crank, pistons, intake, etc. A high ported engine, but without the exhaust bubble on the back of the engine. It came originally with 1 5/16" carbs and was a strong engine, esp at top end. You won't get 225 hp out of it the way it is. The 235 engines use the larger 1 3/8" carbs. Those 200 heads were the same as the 150/175heads. You need to swap them out for a pair of early original high compression small bore 235 heads. You would need to add the bubble back exhaust system. The 235's also used a special exhaust tuner in the midsection-which you'd have to swap. To do all this conversion, you are going to get into a lot of block machining. (Adding the exhaust filler blocks and decking the block on the back and bottom-to match the exhaust manifold.) If you decide to add that exhaust bubble back, you will have to swap out the exhaust adapter on the top of the midsection. Also, swapping that adapter and tuner is made difficult by the possibility of a lot of broken bolts. You may find that the addition some bolt-on parts: a set of 235 heads and jetting up the mains somewhat may give you some of the added hp you are looking for. FYI, The original 3 carbs from the early V6's came with a mechanical choke and only had choke plates on two of the 3 carbs. Your model should have the newer fuel primer system that feeds all 3 carbs.