Outlook will only send to 4 recipients?

PiratePast40

Lieutenant Commander
All of a sudden, my Outlook email is limited to 4 recipients for a message. Her's the message I receive: This message wasn't delivered to anyone because there are too many recipients. The limit is 4. This message has 10 recipients.
I can, however, send to groups with more recipients.

Our IT guy has no idea what would cause this.

Any ideas?

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
Re: Outlook will only send to 4 recipients?

You sure it is an Outlook error? And not a outgoing mail server error, recently some of the ISP/webhosting companies have been putting limits on their outgoing email servers to try and quash mass mailings, my wife ran into this with one of the servers she leases for her business. It could also be a mis-configuration somewhere in the system, do you guys run your own outgoing mail server? If so, you might ask your IT person to check the set up configuration on your mail server.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner

Might be your Service provider. I send 200-250 e-mails at a time using Outlook from the office. I've run into "local" limitations a few times while on the road.

PiratePast40

Lieutenant Commander

Now that you mention it, I've received the message on my laptop running Win7/Office 2010 as well as my desktop running XP/Office 2003. I also received it while at a hotel in Illinois last week. This was while communicating with our server on the east coast. This is a new issue in the last couple of weeks. They have upgraded servers and software but I'm the only one who seems to be having the problem. I think you guys are right, this is starting to sound more like a server issue instead of an Outlook issue. I'll ask our computer guru to check the settings for my account.

bassman284

Commander

No expert, but I agree that sounds like a server message. I would think if Outlook was doing it, it would prevent you from adding more than 4 addresses rather than wait til you send.

j_martin

Admiral

The message itself identifies where it is from. That piece of information is as important as the error.

SteveRoss

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Respectfully, switch to GMail or Thunderbird.... no more problems or spam.

jlinder

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Agree with it being a server issue. Are you using a different server or ISP than others in the office?

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral

That works great as long as the server is configured correctly, but if it is not, the best email client in the world is not going to solve anything. Especially when you are not the one in charge of configuring the server.

By the way, even using Thunderbird and Gmail, I get plenty of spam..

bassman284

Commander

Respectfully, telling someone to abandon what they're using and switch to something else is not really helpful. Same as when someone is asking for help with IE and posters jump in saying switch to Firefox, switch to Mozilla, Switch to Opera, etc. Not. Really. Helpful.

PiratePast40

Lieutenant Commander

The message itself identifies where it is from. That piece of information is as important as the error.

For the instances I'm talking about, the message is from Microsoft Outlook. In addition to the message shown above, each recipient is listed and below each user name is : This message has too many recipients. Please try to resend it with fewer recipients. These are all users on the network.

As far as being a separate ISP, well of course that's the case. We have remote users in many states and any user can connect to the network from any location from any device they wish such as Blackberry, smartphone, laptop, etc.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

Gotta go down as the most unhelpful help ever given!!! :rolleyes:
I second that.

I use a mail server for my business with my own domain name. Not sure about the OP but obviously going to gmail with a company email is not an option.

All the problems I have had have been with a server. Last one was that Yahoo's server was rejecting anything that came from the server that hosts my domain. That wasn't good but they were able to fix it finally by contacting Yahoo.