Faria (Fuel) Gauge removal

CRUNCHY

Cadet
I can't figure out how to remove my 2" Faria fuel gauge from the dash board (2000 Hydra-Sports 2300CC). Does it unscrew? The dash board side bezel/lens is spinning w/ whole unit on the back side/backplane of the dashboard. Why is everything so difficult when I am thinking I'm attempting something easy?

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
Re: Faria (Fuel) Gauge removal

Gauges don't unscrew!!!! Removing a gauge reqires that you stick your head under the helm, disconnect the wires, remove the two nuts that secure the "U-shaped" clamp and it will fall out the front. Next question: I will assume the gauge doesn't work but have you determined that it is actually the gauge and not the sender or wiring that's the issue?

CRUNCHY

Cadet

Sorry for the delay in responding Silvertip.
Reply: Gauges don't unscrew!!!! Removing a gauge reqires that you stick your head under the helm, disconnect the wires, remove the two nuts that secure the "U-shaped" clamp and it will fall out the front.
Response: I have already removed the wires and all nuts from the back side. I tried ratherforceably to tap on the bolt lugs to send the gauge out the front of dash board and it didn't budge. causing me to run for help here before I danaged the unit further. All I am getting is the thing rotates a little and the thing seems frozen requiring another approach.

Next question: I will assume the gauge doesn't work but have you determined that it is actually the gauge and not the sender or wiring that's the issue?
Well no, not yet. My approach is based upon the dial has become frozen at the gauge. When I tap on it it moves to where the tank fill should be, being familiar w/ the way it moves when the boat is statiuonary vs. during acceleration etc. I have never seen whare my access to the tank and sender is and the way the dial can be affected by tapping it lead me to tryfirst replacing the gauge first. Then deal w/ the worse sender replacement option.

CRUNCHY

Cadet

Bump
I can't figure out how to remove my 2" Faria fuel gauge from the dash board (2000 Hydra-Sports 2300CC). Does it unscrew? The dash board side bezel/lens is spinning w/ whole unit on the back side/backplane of the dashboard. (please see below for more info. Thanks in advance!)

Chrunch,

Can you feel along the outside of the gauge. If it has threads then there is a threaded collar that holds the gauge in place up under the dash. That collar will unthread all the way down the gauge body and then off. The gauge can then come out the front of the dash.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

Unless some idiot glued the gauge in or unless it is fitted in a very tight hole, it should fall out. Here is a group of pictures with a typical gauge in the lower right. Note that the U-shaped bracket is held by a single nut (ground in this case). Some gauges use two nuts to hold it. Remote the bracket and the gauge should push out the front.

TempGaugeSenderResistance.jpg

75TowerOfPower

Petty Officer 1st Class

Faria gauges have a lifetime warranty, so if they can't refurb it they will send you a new one.

CRUNCHY

Cadet

Silvertip replied: Unless some idiot glued the gauge in or unless it is fitted in a very tight hole, it should fall out. Here is a group of pictures with a typical gauge in the lower right. Note that the U-shaped bracket is held by a single nut (ground in this case). Some gauges use two nuts to hold it. Remote the bracket and the gauge should push out the front. Crunchy: It is not glued - in original unglued assembly condition. Noting picture uploaded, my gauge has all three (threaded) connector posts securing the back-bracket to the gauge guts. Having removed the securing nuts and everything at the back of the gauge, the gauge is still very tightly secured to the dashboard so tightly that the whole gauge will only swivel an eigth of a turn. This is afterI used modest hammer force applied to the threaded posts to move the gauge away from the bracket frame and out the face of the dash board. NO GO - This is why I reached out to this forum for help. Is it possible that the back bracket is actually screwed to the outer dashboard bezel assembly? See the finger pressure ribbing that does exist a part of the rear dashpoard 'Bracket' assembly. Should I take a large channel lock plier and protective cloth on the outer side of the dashboard and another applied to the finger pressure ribs on thebracket side? Does this gauge unscrew to facilitate removal?

Greg Mrozinski replied: Can you feel along the outside of the gauge. If it has threads then there is a threaded collar that holds the gauge in place up under the dash. That collar will unthread all the way down the gauge body and then off. The gauge can then come out the front of the dash. Crunchy responds: I am sure by the back-bracket assembly design that ultimately the gauge will be removed from the outside of the dasboard in removal direction. Other than the tell-tale finger pressure ribbing on the 'bracket' at near the dashboard plane, I see no signs of threading.

Hope the pictures help, sorry for all the hassle and thank you all very much for your time!

Attachments

• DSCN1027.jpg
    DSCN1027.jpg
    138.9 KB · Views: 5
  • DSCN1023.jpg
    DSCN1023.jpg
    134.7 KB · Views: 5

Looks to me like the back bracket should slide off freeing the gauge to be remove from the top.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

Good heavens folks. Remove the black bracket. It is pushed down in the center so it is acting like a spring and is merely jammed. Pull it off. Beating on the gauge is a good way to make sure it doesn't work.

CRUNCHY

Cadet

I have talked to Faria and Ted Genard was very helpfull after all! His explaination explains why everyone is so baffled by what I have described my problem to be.

He said that when the nuts are removed from the threaded lugs, the bracket should simply pull off the back of the gauge and / or the gauge should easily pop out the front of the dashboard. So why the heck won't mine? Remember I even put a wood block on the threaded lugs a hammered it! I will try again this weekend, thinking I will start prying the bracket away from the dashboard, hoping that will pop something, or then I will just sledge hammer the hole clear and sell the darn boat!

He said the Faria warrantee will repair / replace the darn thing, as others have shared, and the current wait isn't too bad.

Thanks again everyone, especially Silvertip! As I started, Why is everything so difficult when I am thinking I'm attempting something easy?

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

You didn't read my response did you! Look at the bracket. Look at the center of it. It is pushed in because whoever installed it tightened the nut too much and deformed the brackets. Grasp the bracket in the center with a pliers and pull it off -- is is difficult to remove because it deformed and hung up on the threads.