Recommend me a boat.

camarors8992

Cadet
Last season I purchased my first boat (1990 Regal Sebring 185) and I really enjoy being out on the water, but it didn't take me long to realize that I'd be much happier with a larger boat. With about 2-3 people and myself things get cramped pretty quickly. I was thinking something along the lines of 24-26 feet in length, and a cabin rather than the open bow. I'd like to be able to spend weekends on it with the girlfriend, and maybe pick up some friends to hang out during the day on it with us. I'm thinking of a budget around 15k-17.5 for the boat, and I'd like it to be a little newer than my current boat. Is this reasonable ?

Sorry it's not a good picture, but it's the most recent one I have of my current boat.
058.jpg

Huron Angler

Admiral

camarors8992

Cadet
Re: Recommend me a boat.

I would probably spend more time inland, but I would love to make trips up to Ontario. Last season I spent most of my time river riding and tubing on cross lake. I was hoping to stick with a fiberglass boat, I think they look much better.

mr 88

Commander

What are you expecting or looking for performance wise? Cuddy or traditional cabin cruiser? A Cabin Cruiser will be a bit slower in most cases BUT give you a ton more room for overnighting. Weekends may be a little tight with some of go fast cuddys that I have seen.Check out Craigs in Buffalo,Rochester Finger Lakes.Elmira besides Syracuse they are all short trips if you are looking for something in particular.Those Starcraft fishing boats with the hard top are plain old ugly,good for fishing. I think you are correct in sticking with glass for what you want to do.A bit more stable while moored,docked.

Dick Sorensen

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I'm kinda in the same situation with my 20' Rinker cuddy...need just 2 or 4 feet more....my cruising plans commit me to a trailer boat and because of that I am not leaning towards a much larger rig....22 or 24 foot is fine....then I would like to have a boat that could handle the Great Lakes chop a little better....I am particularily interested in the Tiara Vactioneer due to it's hull shape which I think would make it a more seaworthy vessel....that all said....my 20 cuddy has been a real pleasure to own and operate....but's kinda 'intimate' when it comes to space....but looking for a new boat is a very nice project. good luck.

JoLin

Vice Admiral

How much do you want to 'rough it' when you're out there? There are tons of 24-26' express cruiswers that'll fit the bill for a weekend on the water but, as mentioned, weight becomes a factor if you tow. My 1999 24' Chris*Craft express weighed in at 7500-8000 lbs. on the trailer. For that, you'll get a water heater, stove of some type and a head/shower system.

If you lean that way, take a look at Larsen 25' Hampton/San Marino models from the '90's. One of my favorite pocket cruisers. A friend has a '92. They were set up perfectly for weekending.

If you can go more bare bones, a walk-around cuddy can give you basic overnighting accommodations with much less weight. In your length range, it'll probably have a fresh water tank and sink, and a porta pottie. Bring along a propane camp stove, and you can cook in the cockpit.

My .02

camarors8992

Cadet

As far as performance goes, I don't really need much. My current boat only hits around 35mph and I've never complained about that.

Now when you say rough it, what do you mean ? I would just like somewhere to sleep comfortably, a bathroom, and a shower would be a plus. I've never been in a cabin cruiser or a cuddy so I don't know what to expect.

This boat caught my eye, although I think the teal is ugly.

http://watertown.craigslist.org/boa/2248272248.html

I also found this boat, again ugly teal though.

http://syracuse.craigslist.org/boa/2252225654.html

Trailering isn't an issue, if my 1500 can't tow it safely than I have use of the company truck.(2500hd)

JoLin

Vice Admiral

Okay, you want an express cruiser like the Chris*Craft I mentioned. The 1/2 ton pickup probably won't have the towing capacity you need. Be sure to check the stats on your truck.

Good luck!

camarors8992

Cadet

Yea, exactly like the Chris-Craft you mentioned. The Larson boats looked like they were also what I'm looking for. I'm just having trouble finding either of those boats within a decent distance from my location.

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

trailering a cruiser is a whole 'nother thing from an 18'. It's not just he driving it's the launch/retrieve. Any option to slip it?

The interior design of the boat you have is by nature cramped. consider a more open design and you won't need as much length. But that's just comparing open hulls; going to a cabin is not comparable.

raymondpickens

Petty Officer 1st Class

What are you expecting or looking for performance wise? Cuddy or traditional cabin cruiser? A Cabin Cruiser will be a bit slower in most cases BUT give you a ton more room for overnighting. Weekends may be a little tight with some of go fast cuddys that I have seen.Check out Craigs in Buffalo,Rochester Finger Lakes.Elmira besides Syracuse they are all short trips if you are looking for something in particular.Those Starcraft fishing boats with the hard top are plain old ugly,good for fishing. I think you are correct in sticking with glass for what you want to do.A bit more stable while moored,docked.

Better be careful around here bashing Starcrafts lol

camarors8992

Cadet

trailering a cruiser is a whole 'nother thing from an 18'. It's not just he driving it's the launch/retrieve. Any option to slip it?

The interior design of the boat you have is by nature cramped. consider a more open design and you won't need as much length. But that's just comparing open hulls; going to a cabin is not comparable.

Yea, when I bite the bullet for a new boat it will be slipped. There's no way I'm going to trailer a boat that size every time I'd like to be out on the water. I'm pretty set on a cabin cruiser, I feel they are exactly what I'm looking for, too bad it's the worst time to try and buy a boat.

JoLin

Vice Admiral

too bad it's the worst time to try and buy a boat.

If you're going to have the boat slipped and stored for you, then the timing isn't bad. Look at it this way- I bought the boat in my sig. in late October of last year. Cheaper purchase price, but I had to pay for winterizing, wrapping and storage before I ever had a chance to use it.

Regardless of the time of year, we're currently in a period of 'buyer's market' pricing. My Chris*Craft has been listed with a local broker for a month and we haven't had a bite yet. Find a boat you like at a reasonable price and just go enjoy the thing.

My .02

mr 88

Commander

Better be careful around here bashing Starcrafts lol
I figured with the "good for fishing" line I would be safe.I have nothing against Starcrafts as I own two,as well as two MFG's and my favorite a 1966 Power Cat with a Tower of Power bolted on the back.Anyway those hardtops look like somone put them on as a afterthought although very utilitarian.
There is a nice 27 Sea Ray listed in the Finger Lakes Craig but is a little older than what you are looking for. I would rather buy a older well taken care of boat than a newer neglected one. Think of the money you would be saving, heck you could afford to keep it in a slip for the season and probably end up using it more.

Summer Fun

Banned

camarors8992.Call Ron at Oneida Lake Marina & tell him Wayne sent you.

He running some awesome deals on used boats. :)

I DON"T MAKE ANYTHING FROM A SALE.

raymondpickens

Petty Officer 1st Class

I figured with the "good for fishing" line I would be safe.I have nothing against Starcrafts as I own two,as well as two MFG's and my favorite a 1966 Power Cat with a Tower of Power bolted on the back.Anyway those hardtops look like somone put them on as a afterthought although very utilitarian.
There is a nice 27 Sea Ray listed in the Finger Lakes Craig but is a little older than what you are looking for. I would rather buy a older well taken care of boat than a newer neglected one. Think of the money you would be saving, heck you could afford to keep it in a slip for the season and probably end up using it more.

Haha, I didn't say I disagreed with you about the starcrafts, I just meant there are many around here that would love to get butt hurt over that comment :)

Huron Angler

Admiral

I don't buy it SF...you probably own that marina:D

As far as the Starcrafts, I just posted a couple of those tin boats since towing a 24'-26' fiberglass rig is, as mentioned, a whole 'nother ballgame. Launching and retrieving 8,000+lbs of boat can be challenging at times, I've done it many times myself.

With fuel prices inching up you should be able to get a great deal on a heavy boat.:D

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

That budget should have no trouble getting you a nicely maintained 24-26' single engine cruiser. In that size range there aren't any brands I'd feel the need to avoid. Just don't get something with OMC power.

ryanr623

Chief Petty Officer

Is it just me, or do most cuddies feel more cramped then open bows? Like in the main seating area. Just feels more open to me.