Any good techniques for cleaning the bottom of a boat that sits in a river?

travbl

Seaman
My boat sits on bunks and it makes it almost impossible to get all areas. Any suggestions on how to get these areas clean?

Beefer

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Any good techniques for cleaning the bottom of a boat that sits in a river?

Get in the water, and scrape. That's about the only option. When I kept mine in the water, I paid a guy to come out and clean it. Cost me $2/ft. Worth the $$$ IMO.

Beefer

Lieutenant Commander

And if you keep it in the water, why isn't your hull painted?

scoutabout

Lieutenant Commander

If you don't want to get wet and are really obsessed you could block up your boat and get the trailer out from under it. There are many threads scattered about on just how to do that. I'd be leery, though, of undertaking that much risk for the sake of cleaning a couple of stripes a foot wide.

You could also load your boat purposely a bit off centre on the trailer so those areas are exposed, then clean, then reload properly.

Lion hunter

Lieutenant Commander

My boat sits on bunks and it makes it almost impossible to get all areas. Any suggestions on how to get these areas clean?

Are you saying that when the boat is on the trailer you can't get to the area where it sits on the bunks?

Beefer

Lieutenant Commander

Judging by the title, I was under the impression he keeps the boat in a river, on some sort of lift?

gerard143

Cadet

i got a case of dupont spa cleaner from the dollar store. its basically gel acid. stuff is amazing for cleaning the hull. my hull was yellow nasty below the waterline. i put this stuff on with a car wash brush with a long handle. 30 seconds later it was white as can be.

technically might not be a good idea though if its sitting in water still. epa wont like that.