How to flush an old Johnson OB?

bob844

Seaman Apprentice
I just recently bought an old aluminum 14 footer (pedigree unknown) with a 1959 35HP Johnson OB. A cursory inspection indicates no place to connect my earmuffs to this thing in order to try it out in the yard. I hope I don't have to try and slip a barrel under it and fill it with water. :eek: Any better ideas? Thanks.

e10

Seaman Apprentice
Re: How to flush an old Johnson OB?

You are gonna have to put this motor in a barrel.

boobie

Supreme Mariner

Tempo used to make an adapter for flushing these mtrs but I don't know if they're still available. If you can't find one your best bet is the barrel.

bob844

Seaman Apprentice

Tempo used to make an adapter for flushing these mtrs but I don't know if they're still available. If you can't find one your best bet is the barrel.

Any idea what they look like and how they connect? Maybe I can cobble something up. Thanks.

bob844

Seaman Apprentice

Scroll down about 3/4 of the way at this link and you can see the adapter and the plate.

http://www.sschapterpsa.com/ramblings/johnson_QD.htm

Thanks.That looks like an extremely useful article. On my motor, the plate they show in the pic is about 6" long with a small screened cut-out maybe 2"X1/4". (hard to believe that supplies enough water for cooling) I'm thinking I could remove the whole plate and cover the hole with something I rig up just for flushing.

F_R

Supreme Mariner

That is a bypass inlet to admit water when running in reverse. The main intake is on the forward edge of the underwater exhaust outlet. Putting water in the bypass will work, but most of it will simply run out the main intake unless you can rig up something to block it.

The old Tempo Flushettes were the way to go, but are getting about as rare as chicken fangs. I have a set of them, but you will have to wait and buy them at my wife's big garage sale when I croak. Hopefully, that will be awhile.

bob844

Seaman Apprentice

You're probably not as old as me anyway :)

1946Zephyr

Vice Admiral

It would be cool to see one of your garage sales, but only if you're there to attend.;)

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner

I have a set of them, but you will have to wait and buy them at my wife's big garage sale when I croak. Hopefully, that will be awhile.

My wife reminds me daily that all my boating "sh!$" as she puts it is going into a garage sale the saturday after I kick the bucket. Thanks for the chuckle.