1974 Johnson 50 hp help

ethand_2010

Cadet
Hi. I thought I finally had everything straightened up on my motor. It was finally running and starting up fine. However i noticed that it was in gear even though the controls were in neutral. I then started looking things over and noticed that when i press the lever into forward or reverse, the only thing that moves is the throttle. The timing advance and the shift linkage doesn't move at all. Can anyone help me out?

eavega

Lieutenant
Re: 1974 Johnson 50 hp help

Can you shift at the motor? If so then the problem is either the cable or perhaps at the remote. Open the bottom of the remote and make sure the control is moving the shift cable. If its moving correctly in the remote, and you can shift at the motor, then the problem is the cable.

Rgds

ethand_2010

Cadet

Yes. It can be shifted at the motor. I kind of figured it was the cable there and think the problem is in the control box but the problem is I can't get it open. the screw heads are stripped out. I got it to work for a few seconds then it quit again

ethand_2010

Cadet

Ok. I guess it must be the cable is broke somewhere. Inside the box everything moves great. But I still don't know why the timing doesn't advance

mrcj001

Petty Officer 1st Class

Ok. I guess it must be the cable is broke somewhere. Inside the box everything moves great. But I still don't know why the timing doesn't advance

The cable is either broken or streched.....Take a dremel tool to the screw heads on the remote box and make a new "slot" and use a bigger screw driver to loosen the screws.