93 Evinrude 50hp - not running may be broken crankshaft

CaptnTony

Cadet
I don't own this one yet, going to go look at it on Sunday. I am recently unemployed and am looking to putz around in the garage once and awhile. I'd like to learn to disassemble and then rebuild outboards (no experience at this point, but more than willing to break a few eggs if the eggs aren't golden in variety).

I'm guessing, if it actually is a crankshaft, that it'll take a pretty good tear down and then a fairly expensive part, but I think I may be able to find one if that's what it really is.

What I'm hoping to hear about is how difficult a job this might be. Are there any special tools necessary (I'm pretty well equipped for auto stuff)? I've got a heavy duty wood stand that I built for my other motors last year. I didn't end up having to tear the upper end apart on either of those, so this will be the first.

Is this something that a complete noob should even attempt? What would be a fair purchase price for this motor in this condition (assuming there are probably other parts that went boom when the crank broke)? Any ideas or help is appreciated. I know it's worth what someone will pay for it, but since I've not bought broken motors before, what might 'someone' be willing to spend on this almost 20yr old motor. It's a twin cylinder (something that is probably easy start for me) with tilt/trim.

Thanks in advance. I appreciate any input.