Glassing over old foam stringers

pcmpete

Petty Officer 1st Class
I am in the process of re-glassing my old foam stringers. They do not have the smoothest surface, dings from removing old glass etc....
Would I be better to skin the foam with Bondo hair or something like that before I put on the new glass?
I did a test patch, rollered it out the best I could over the foam, but got a few air bubbles. Or is this nature of the beast when glassing over foam?

Please advise :D

Bondo

Staff member
Re: Glassing over old foam stringers

Ayuh,... Ya can knock 'em down somewhat flat with a sanding block, 'n coarse paper....

Then keep workin' the bubbles out til it Kicks off...

pcmpete

Petty Officer 1st Class

Ayuh,... Ya can knock 'em down somewhat flat with a sanding block, 'n coarse paper....

Then keep workin' the bubbles out til it Kicks off...

I did sand them down first, I might try and coat them with slightly thickened resin, then sand, then re-glass.

Thanks again

Yacht Dr.

Vice Admiral

I am in the process of re-glassing my old foam stringers. They do not have the smoothest surface, dings from removing old glass etc....
Would I be better to skin the foam with Bondo hair or something like that before I put on the new glass?
I did a test patch, rollered it out the best I could over the foam, but got a few air bubbles. Or is this nature of the beast when glassing over foam?

Please advise :D

You cannot glass over raw foam..

Your in process..are you useing epoxy or poly..mat or just 1708 or woving ? ..

Its not ask and tell .. its tell and ask :) ..

If you have Raw foam.. you slighty coat in resin..then wait till it gels ( not hard .. Gels )... then coat it again slightly coat..again and again untill you have a nice non-saturation of resin. Then Bang your glass on as fast as you can !

Just like you would with rushing untreated ply before you start glassing.

Have all your glass ready cut..set and go before you mix Any resin.

YD.

pcmpete

Petty Officer 1st Class

You cannot glass over raw foam..

Your in process..are you useing epoxy or poly..mat or just 1708 or woving ? ..

Its not ask and tell .. its tell and ask :) ..

If you have Raw foam.. you slighty coat in resin..then wait till it gels ( not hard .. Gels )... then coat it again slightly coat..again and again untill you have a nice non-saturation of resin. Then Bang your glass on as fast as you can !

Just like you would with rushing untreated ply before you start glassing.

Have all your glass ready cut..set and go before you mix Any resin.

YD.

I am using poly and plan putting 1.5oz CSM down first on all the stringers and bulkheads, then go back at a later date and add two layers of 1708