Volvo DP-SM outdrive noise when in gear

moonshn

Cadet
Was wondering if someone could point me in the right direction it would be much appreciated.

I've got a '99 Four Winns H240 with the Volvo 5.7 GSi and the DP-SM (SX series) outdrive. Towards the end of last season we were getting an increasingly loud growling (grinding?) noise out of the outdrive when put into gear, either forward or reverse.

I had changed the u-joints earlier in the year with no problems and since they are turning whenever the engine is running that steers me away from them. I've got a Clymer shop manual for the stern drive and feel pretty comfortable tearing into it, I was just wondering if someone more knowledgeable might point me in the right direction. I am thinking it sounds like a bearing going out just don't know which one to look for.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Volvo DP-SM outdrive noise when in gear

Have you checked the gear lube level to see if it's on the dipstick?
Have you checked the oil for water?

I've got a Clymer shop manual for the stern drive and feel pretty comfortable tearing into it,

That's not a manual, that's a knee pad. Here is a link to the OEM manual. http://www.4shared.com/file/50982625/e2bdb42c/SX_DP-S_Service_Manual.html

I wouldn't get to comfortable about tearing into it unless you have the special tools to do the job, and trust me, that Clymers manual is not going to give you all the information you need. Even if they did print all of it, a good share of it would be wrong.