Engine Core Plug Missing

gary clune

Cadet
Just purchased a 1973 Evinrude 135, Model #135383M, according to the bracket data plate. Wanted to verify the model # with the engine core plug, but it's missing. The motor does have the bubble back exhaust, so it's probably the original powerhead... a definate maybe. Any other way I can tell year, etc., of powerhead? Does that core plug serve any purpose other than identification?

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner
Re: Engine Core Plug Missing

Is the plug actually missing, or is it missing any stamped information? If a powerhead was ever replaced under factory warranty, the original information is lost. When you want to do some verifying, you may have to research your engine compared to parts lists for engines from other nearby model years. You can check parts for these models on the Bombardier website: epc.brp.com. Sometimes the factory changed components from year to year. One way to track it down in to check the sizes of the jets in your carbs can compare them to the 1973 carbs on the parts lists.

gary clune

Cadet

I'm referring to the data plug (aft of the flywheel), not the core plug located on lower part of motor. It is missing. I'm guessing that it's only function is engine ID, correct? I'll follow your advice on the parts chase...guess that's all I can do. Thanks once again, emdsapmgr, for your willingness to help out a newbie.

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner

model identification 2.jpgThe core plug with the info is on the top of the block, just aft of the flywheel. I'll attach a picture of a typical core plug. Has both the model and serial number on it. This core plug is from a 1975 135 hp block. Guess that is the plug you say is missing...that's too bad.