Any adjustment to Mercruiser lower shift cable??

BoatingTimbo

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I've been told my stalling problem when shifting into forward or reverse leaving the dock is from the lower shift cable. Most likely stretched? I don't understand how this will stall out the engine and it only happens if i let the boat warm up longer then 5 mins. If i don't let the boat warm up idling for longer then 5 mins. then no issues at all.

My questions is; if it's a stretched cable is there a way of adjusting this lower shift cable rather then replacing? I hear replacing it means pulling the leg off!

Anyone know and how to adjust?

achris

More fish than mountain goat
Re: Any adjustment to Mercruiser lower shift cable??

The cable is not stretched, it's corroded up. You need to replace the cable, and whatever is letting water in to it, usually the shift shaft seal in the exhaust chamber.

Read this -> http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?p=1930449#post1930449 for a very good description of why the shift is stallling the engine.

No big deal with pulling the leg off, it takes 6 minutes.

Chris........

Phfantasm

Cadet

Anyone ever come up with a step by step process to changing this lower shift cable and properly adjusting it?? I ask because on occasion,my boat has problems shifting into reverse, and today, it began stalling going into forward or reverse.... there is also a very audible grind, ratcheting sound when trying to go into gear.
Sad part is i just had everything apart to put the coupler in...
this now makes 4 days on the water, 4 break downs... not a good track record so far

bowler

Petty Officer 1st Class

a good/decent tech!

i had reverse gear issues, nothing major but a cause for concern. sorting that plus a service of the leg (alpha 1 gen 2) took less than a day. cost was ?150. diy is all well and good but some things are just easier left to the pro's.

all good now...

d.