Trim not working........ elecritcal?

iamthunderman

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Got my baby out of storage last week and put the battery back on. I can not trim the lower unit up or down. The fuse seems to be fine, and all the lines running to and from the throttle are intact and connections are good. Not a single sound comes out of the lower unit when I try to lower or raise it.

Any ideas?

Mischief Managed

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Trim not working........ elecritcal?

Got my baby out of storage last week and put the battery back on. I can not trim the lower unit up or down. The fuse seems to be fine, and all the lines running to and from the throttle are intact and connections are good. Not a single sound comes out of the lower unit when I try to lower or raise it.

Any ideas?

Brand, model, and year of the stern drive or outboard would help.

iamthunderman

Petty Officer 2nd Class

99, sea ray, 230 BR, Merc Cruiser 7.4, Bravo One

Thanks!

Stachi

Lieutenant Commander

This just happened to me last weekend on my boat... using a power probe , I had B+ voltage up to , but not beyond , the inline fuse close to the battery...fuse had continuity , corrosion on the upstream side of the connector. A bit of cleaning and die-electric grease solved it.

Mischief Managed

Lieutenant Commander

99, sea ray, 230 BR, Merc Cruiser 7.4, Bravo One

Thanks!

Post the question in the I/O repair forum rather than general boating and you'll get a lot more views.

No up or down points to a common power supply or connector problem. Does every other electrical thing work on the boat?

There are two fuses for the trim, one 20 amp in a black vinyl holder by the pump and a 110 amp that looks more like a block than a fuse and is bolted between the two trim solenoids. Check them both.

See of the big, round, main engine connector is loose.

Perhaps this technicians handbook will help: http://www.boatfix.com/merc/Techbk/97/97hs6.pdf

Mischief Managed

Lieutenant Commander

One other thing, you might have an extra positive or negative wire laying in the battery compartment that you simply forgot to attach.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Moving to IO forum

OK, now that we have you in the right forum, there is more than one fuse for operating the trim and tilt.
The good news is the OEM service manual gives you detailed information on locating your problem.
Here is a link to that OEM service manual you can download to your computer.

http://www.4shared.com/document/UZ_e6ZT8/Service_Manual_11.html

Section 1C will get you to the troubleshooting charts and wiring diagrams

iamthunderman

Petty Officer 2nd Class

WOW! Thanks for all the responses. The 20amp fuse is located next to the pump, where can I get one of those? I did pull it apart and it think I broke it, I don't think it was broken before. As for the 110 amp fuse, I will have to check on it tomorrow.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Depends on the type fuse, take the old one to any auto parts store, they are nothing special either way.

Stachi

Lieutenant Commander

Something else you may look for if the preliminary tests don't fix ya... my trim/tilt wires leading to the switches inside of my control unit had gotten pinched and sheared inside of the control unit.I found this by chasing the circuit from the battery back to the switches...I opened the control unit to expose the switch connections, and ran a continuity test on the wires leading to the switch...sure enough , I found two wires without continuity from the relays.