Lifting 70 hp outboard?

7lazy77

Petty Officer 1st Class
I have a 70 hp Chrysler outboard I would like to take off. Does anybody know if it has any safe lifting areas to lift it off with a tractor? If not, do I have to get a "lifting eye" to put in the flywheel? Would a harmonic balancer puller be required with the lifting eye? Or could I just use the harmonic balancer (attached to the 3 flywheel holes) by itself? Thanks

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner
Re: Lifting 70 hp outboard?

A harmonic puller will work with three 1/4 X 20 bolts but it is not absolutely needed. The engine only weighs about 275 so two men and a boy can lift it.

GHowever, a piece of stout rope wrapped between the lower cowl and transom clamps and another for the rear, secured together so they don't slip will do.

You may also have the option if you have a friend or two to help, of loosening the engine and tilting the trailer front up so the skeg hits the ground, then pivot the engine off the transom.

A couple of C clamps secured to the flywheel rim and again, a couple of pieces of stout rope will also lift it.

Your options are numerous.

7lazy77

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Lifting 70 hp outboard?

Thanks Frank! This is my first boat, so this is all a learning experience for me.