V4 Water Pump Replaced - How much flow is "normal"

Johnson 140

Cadet
I was concerned about the flow coming out of the 2 exhaust ports (there isnt a tell-tale) and I didnt know the age of the impeller, so I bought a water pump kit for my 77 140 V4. Once I got inside the old impeller looked good. I went ahead and replaced the cup, housing, impeller, o-rings, and the rubber grommet that goes around the output and saved the old ones for spares.

I fired her up on the muffs and there is no water coming from the ports for the first 5-10secs. After that it began to spit out small amounts with the exhaust. I turned off the hose and noticed water draining from the housing between the LU and cowl. There are small drain ports that drained water for several secs after I removed the muffs.

My first thought is I misaligned the pump output with the copper tube upon reassembling the LU and its pumping that housing full. So how can I check to see if Im pumping water up to the engine? I do not have a tell-tale... There was a thread yesterday about a v4 crossflow that included pics and he had 10X the flow I do coming out of the exhaust ports.

DargelJohn

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: V4 Water Pump Replaced - How much flow is "normal"

From what you described, it sounds normal. You will have some water trapped between the inner and outer lower housing that will escape through the weep holes. The bypass ports, @ idle, should have a mist exhaust/water coming out. If you had misaligned the copper tube and water pump, no water would get to the powerhead.

Is the engine overheating? With the engine warmed up, temp should be 140-150 degrees. Should be able to keep your finger on the heads for a three count.

Johnson 140

Cadet

Thanks, I didn't want to pump that housing full and it fill up to the powerhead.... Where should the water be coming out if only a fine mist comes out at the exhaust ports?

DargelJohn

Petty Officer 1st Class

Most of the water comes out, with the exhaust, through the prop hub. The horizontal vents, just above the cavitation plate. And, the weep holes, near the lower unit seam.

daselbee

Commander

I see he referred to my post....so I will add a bit here.
Maybe someone reading this will find this helpful.

I just pulled the powerhead (V4 crossflow, 140), and found the brand new Sierra Phead to Ex. Adapter gasket in a "shredded" condition.
It was just absolutely torn up. when I put it together, I coated that gasket very lightly with Permatex aviation form-a-gasket, just enough to slightly wet it. It seems as if the Permatex has actually "lubed up" the gasket and it squished out into the exhaust hole, as well as other places around the perimeter of the ex housing.

Maybe I should have put this gasket on dry?

I am searching for a genuine Evinrude gasket in stock somewhere here near Titusville Fl, but no luck. Will re-install phead with dry gasket and see if the problem is fixed.