no fire

stripersnipe

Cadet
I have a xp 150 and lost fire on one side. I swapped the power pack on the side firing to the other side and it fired. I bought a used one and slapped it on today and the same thing. Is there anything else that it could be?

boobie

Supreme Mariner
Re: no fire

Disconnect the black/yellow wires coming from both packs and try it. If it does start you'll have to choke it to stop it. There's diodes in the packs where one side can screw up the other.

stripersnipe

Cadet

Just went out and unhooked the black yellow wire on both sides and still no fire on left side. When i put the power pack on the right side on there it fires

boobie

Supreme Mariner

You might have a stator or timer base problem. Check the info above.

stripersnipe

Cadet

I bought another used power pack today from another guy and it worked. That drove me crazy. I guess thats what u get when buying used parts.

stripersnipe

Cadet

I hooked up the pack last night and it had fire. I broke two wires while working on it and so today at work i spliced the broke wires and checked everything over. Got to the lake and it hesitates when turning over and spits and sputters and wont crank. Somethings still not rite. I'm bout ready to trade it. This old motor aint worth to much and i just got a water pump put in and spent 75 bucks on plugs and powerpack.

stripersnipe

Cadet

My power pack has three wires and one hooks to each coil. Does it matter which coil they go to? There not color coated and two of them are the same length so I dont know how you could tell two of em apart.

SparkieBoat

Captain

1) yes it DOES matter and yes they are color coded, I forget the color code but it is the same as the opposite side, I think the one with the small green stripe is top. the other stripe is middle and no stripe is bottom, but make sure to check you other power pack for confirmation.
2) the 150 GTs were great motors and if it is not dilapidated is well worth repairing. I gave you a web site that has a free easy to follow guide on how to test your motors electronics. you will need to buy a $25 DVA adapter and I assume you already have a multi meter if not they are about $20. I highly suggest you get these tools and follow the guide and find out what is wrong with your motor. even though you probably just got your coil wires crossed it is also possible that you have other electronic issues, just because your motor runs does not mean all is well. So it is cheap and easy to properly diagnose your motors electronics and I strongly suggest you step up to the plate and geter done. you will have a much more positive experience with your boating.

boobie

Supreme Mariner

The stripes go as follows; blue to top, green to bottom and the odd ball goes to the middle. If you can't find any color codes the only thing you can do is swap them around til you get results. You may want to also look where the wires come out of the pack to get a clue.