Force 125 - questions

steveclv

Petty Officer 1st Class
I recently purchased a 1984 Bayliner Capri with a Force 125.

The boat has been in storage for 11 years and only has 140 hours on it.

I removed the carb bowls and removed the sludge and old 2 stroke oil and cleaned the carbs out with a can of carb cleaner. They are very simple carbs so it was pretty easy to do.

The tank was half full and as I had no opportunity to drain it, I filled it with premium gas at 50:1 with a good quality 2 stroke oil.

A new battery and after a few coughs and splutters it jumped into life on the hosepipe.

I checked the oil in the lower unit which was very clean and greased everything that needed greasing and launched the boat.

I launched her this morning - thankfully no-one around to complain about my smokescreen ;)

The engine is very smooth and quiet - only issue seems to be that it wants to stall if you just slide it into gear - more so in reverse than forward - if you are quick to get on the gas it's fine.

I ran up and down the lake at 2000 rpm and she was as smooth as silk. I could launch quickly from zero to full throttle with no hesitation and there is lots of water coming out of the exhaust that was hot, but not boiling so the impeller seems ok.

So far so good, however....

The engine really smokes - I'm assuming that this is because of the bad gas mix and should improve as I get rid of it and replace it with fresh.

Am I right that this motor is 50:1?

At full throttle, trim full down, the boat was at 37mph @ 4000rpm which seemed a bit low, if I raise the trim I increased it to 40mph @ 4200rpm

I'm assuming that I have the original prop which would indicate that the engine is down a bit on power - not surprising after 27 years.

After about a minute or so at full throttle, the engine starts to sound less comfortable and starts to hesitate and lose power - if I back off and reapply full power it runs great again for about a minute. To me this sounds like a lean mixture - what do you think? The primer bulb is not compressed so it's not fuel starvation.

What do you think, leave it alone until I have run it for a couple of hours and got rid of the old gas, give the mixture screws half a turn anticlockwise to richen it up a bit or what?

Still learning about this outboard so please be kind :)

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner
Re: Force 125 - questions

Well, before running an unknown engine, assume that everything that can be out of adjustment is out of adjustment.

SO: before messing with the carbs, replace the sparkplugs. Then counting carefully, screw in the adjustment needles If they are set to about 1 turn out, they will probably be ok. Replace the fuel pump diaphragm and gasket.

Yeah, it is pumping water but you really don't know the condition of the impeller so replace that as a matter of course.

Now: stalling when put in gear is usually a symptom of low idle speed. Set the idle speed to 700-750 IN FORWARD GEAR in the water. Look at the sticky FAQ at the top of the page.

carholme

Rear Admiral

Steve;

Are we to understand that the fuel in the tank before you added some was 11 years old? If so, I don't think you can make any assumptions at this point other than to find a way to get rid of the fuel. It probably has 11 years of condensation and possibly crud floating around in the tank.

If it was mine, I would get those carbs off again for cleaning and get that fuel out of the tank come hell or high water and find a way to sluice it/clean it well before continuing.

Once you have the carbs verified again and a known good clean fuel supply, you can start to determine what needs to be done but I wouldn't start adjusting

And I would get the impeller changed as well.

Gerry

steveclv

Petty Officer 1st Class

Allegedly the fuel is only a year or so old, not 11 LOL

I've added a filter in the line an as it's an inboard tank, I'm going to plumb in a fuel/water separator/filter too.

Plugs are brand new (forgot to mention that). Good call on the pump - is that just a simple rubber diaphragm or something more elaborate?

I will do the impeller - just waiting for it to arrive via eBay - and I'll check the idle speed - I did recall that it's about 600rpm at idle out of gear, so it is probably too slow.

Looking around, 40mph in a 19' Bayliner with a 125hp motor isn't far off the mark so with a bit of a run and the fresh fuel etc it may improve a little but I don't think they will do much more than 42-44mph anyway.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner

That motor should be about 5500RPM at WOT.Your tach might be reading wrong.
What prop is on the motor now?J

sidenberg

Petty Officer 1st Class

Be very careful using carb cleaner as it will destroy the rubber seats and/or needle tip. Safer to use Sea Foam or similar. You should consider replacing those seats with newer ones that have ethanol resistant rubber.