power station vs. receptacle to power accessories

captainmont

Seaman Apprentice
should I buy a powerstation with those portable jumpers or just buy a receptacle to connect straight to the trolling motor battery for electricity for my cappicino machine/electric skillet. any thoughts

Bondo

Staff member
Re: power station vs. receptacle to power accessories

Ayuh,... I'd think runnin' 'em off from a easily chargable battery would be Better...

If yer boostpak goes dead, ya gotta find an outlet to rechagre it...
If the boat's battery needs chargin',...
Ya just start the motor...

sea_goin_dude

Seaman

I have several inverters but not sure about having enough current to run an ELECTRIC SKILLET from a boat battery or any other battery for that matter

ajgraz

Lieutenant Commander

Ima guess you were joking about the skillet. But more info on the boat would be nice. 5' dinghy with a tiny troller, or something bigger?

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

You can't be serious!!!!! A jumpstart pack typically has a 7 - 10 AHr battery. That number means it can deliver 1 amp for 7 - 10 hours or 7 - 10 amps for one hour. Look at the power consumption label on any 120 volt AC powered device you wish to plug into an inverter to find the power consumption. It may be shown as watts rather than amps so lets do some conversion. A 120 VOLT skillet that draws 840 WATTS (as an example) draws 7 AMPS (840/12 = 7). Now then, an inverter requires 12 volts INPUT to create 120 volts OUTPUT. Did you notice the difference is a factor of 10???? That 7 amp load for the skillet now requires 70 AMPS from the batttery, and since inverters are not 100% efficient, it would actuallly require more than 70 amps. So your little 7 amp battery would be stone dead before the skillet became warm enough to fry an egg. Even if you powered the inverter from a trolling motor battery, it would not last long either. Heating appliances simply cannot be realistically operated from battery power unless you have a lot of them and that they are huge. Electrical specs are put on appliances for a reason. Unfortunately the public doesn't understand them so money is made off peoples ignorance (excuse me -- lack of knowledge).

PiratePast40

Lieutenant Commander

On the same topic, just last night I heard some people talking about using solar panels from Harbor Freight to power their home. They have no idea of the costs of energy conversion and the amount of energy required to perform even small tasks like charging a battery.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

On the same topic, just last night I heard some people talking about using solar panels from Harbor Freight to power their home. They have no idea of the costs of energy conversion and the amount of energy required to perform even small tasks like charging a battery.

I frequently see the TV commercial for this "home solar power system" and they make it sound like you could send your power company packing with this system. I got curious so I went to their web site and looked at the specs. This unit has three batteries that are about the size of the sealed battery you would find in a jump start box (7 - 10 AHr). The inverter is (as I remember) about 1500 watts continuous and 1800 watts max. Buried in the specs is the number I was looking for. 1500 watts had a battery life of 5 minutes. So much for powering anything other than a few light bulbs. Recharge time was something on the order of 15 hours at full sunlight so that would mean about two days since the panels wouldn't work at night. So -- two days of waiting to get five minutes worth of 1500 watts of 120 volts AC. Unplug the nuclear plants folks. Solar is here!!! NOT!

captainmont

Seaman Apprentice

yep for cell phone/laptop/spotlight i got a 16ft tracker 40hp deep-v two batteries one for minnkota powerdrive v2 55ap and radio the other for lights pumps fishfinder motor

captainmont

Seaman Apprentice

powerstation 100 bucks at home depot could run a small fridge for 12 hours.. did you notice the conversion factor of your full of ****... cyberthugs dont understand humor cappucino maker on a boat really?!!!

NYBo

Admiral

Are you saying they don't make a 12V cappuccino machine? There go my dreams, right down to Davey Jones' locker.:mad:

If you want a serious answer to your question, you'll have to tell us what your real intentions are.