What's this worth?

thesignguy

Seaman
IMG00453.jpgFirst off I want to say hello from the mountains of Maryland and say what a great site this is!:D

In searching for information on a boat we purchased last year (1988 Starcraft Medalist 1600 with a Rude 88SPL) I have run into another boat, 76ish Glastron with a Tri-hull. It's not so much the boat but the engine, from the information I can find it's a 1975-76 Mercury 850 (85HP) with electric start. The boat that it is attached to has a cracked hull but the owner wants to sell the boat, trailer and engine as a whole to get it out of the yard. Owner say the engine ran 2 years ago but the hull has a crack and takes on water. So my question is what would a engine like that be worth, running or non running?

Thanks and look forward to your comments!

wifisher

Chief Petty Officer
Re: What's this worth?

without more info I would say 100 for the whole package. That includes a usable trailer, junk boat and a motor that may or may not be worth anything. If the trailer isn't in good condition then the price would go down.

The cracked hull is worth less than nothing. The engine is basically worth scrap as it is not running, and the trailer, if it appears to be serviceable may be worth 100 or so. Buy it for 100 and check out the motor. It may be worth fixing, which would yield a profit - If not part out the motor, sell the trailer, and scrap the boat. Still not something I would mess with unless I had a salvage yard.

thesignguy

Seaman
Re: What's this worth?

Thank for the reply. He was hinting that he wanted $500 for the whole package.

The trailer has two flats and in rough shape, he does not how severe the crack is other then he would not take it back out in the water. The interior of the boat looks pretty good, it was all redone a few years ago. So I'm guessing he took pretty good care of the boat, the engine was winterized before being but up. I'm not real keen on boat engines but are there any tell tale signs that it's not worth the $100?

Pics
IMG00444.jpgIMG00447.jpgIMG00448.jpg