1975 Johnson 25 hp ignition key wiring help.

84toyota

Seaman Apprentice
I used the search function but could not quite find any posts to match my question. I recently picked up a 1975 Johnson 25 hp outboard with a model number of 25el75. It came with the factory ignition wiring harness, which plugs in to the motor. I need to hook this wiring harness up to a keyed ignition switch, and I want to make sure I wire it up right. There are a total of 7 wires in the harness. A large red one which I know will run to the + on the battery. There is a large black wire which will run to the - on the battery. There are two smaller black wires, a smaller white wire, and a smaller green wire. These are the ones I'm unsure of. I believe the two black ones go to the M terminals on the key switch, which will close the ground when the key is off (killing the engine). Can anyone help me with the red, white, and green wire? A friend told me his best guess would be that the red goes back to the battery, the white to the solenoid, and the green might possibly be the choke. I've ordered a factory service manual, but it might take a few weeks to get here. I was hoping to have it wired up so that I can start fine tuning the motor this weekend. Does anyone have a wiring diagram for this motor, or have any knowledge of this particular wiring configuration? Thanks a bunch for your help!
Ken

84toyota

Seaman Apprentice

dew2

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: 1975 Johnson 25 hp ignition key wiring help.

There is a post asking the same questing within the last 10 days,It was completly answered,If you have no reply, I have a 25EL75B same plug,I wont be close to it till tomorrow,I will make a note to check the connections and post tomorrow bout 10AM

84toyota

Seaman Apprentice

I have a 25EL75B same plug

Hi dew2, thanks for your help. If you could check the plug and where each color wire runs to on the keyed ignition switch, it would be appreciated! I just want to make extra sure I know what I'm doing when I hook up the switch, so that I don't fry anything. I'm searching the forums, but I must not know which key words to use in order to bring up the thread you mention. I'm doing some testing, and it appears that the green wire is tied in with the large red + battery wire. So I'm guessing the green goes to the B battery terminal on the key switch.

I just found this link -
http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=320335&page=1
and I think it answers my questions... this sounds like my setup... I even have a red wire going to nothing like the post states.

84toyota

Seaman Apprentice

Looks like I have it all figured out... thanks to the link in my above post. Thanks to all for the help...