Bad battery

Riegfrghtl

Petty Officer 3rd Class
My batteries have been out of the boat since early November. One is a combo starting/deep cycle and the other is deep cycle only. Put them on the charger to get ready to put back in boat and the deep cycle only will not take a full charge. It keeps coming up bad battery on the charger. The bat. is 2 yrs old and never had a problem. Is the bat. low on water or acid or both? What is the best way to test? Or should I just get a new battery? Thanks in advance for any help of suggestions you can give me!

Tim

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
Re: Bad battery

A battery doesn't contain water AND acid. It contains electrolyte. Distilled water is used to top it off if it is low. But regarding your question, if you can't charge it there is no other way to test it. Besides, what good is there testing a dead battery. Sort of like asking how healthy a dead person is (yes -- I know that's twisted). Some batteries have a plastic label that covers up the caps for each of the six cells. Remove that label and IF the caps are removable, check the electrolyte level. If it is below the plates, add distilled water so the plates are covered. Then try to charge it. What you may need to do is connect and reconnect the charger many times until a minor charge manages to happen. Keep trying until the charger stays on. If that fails, it's new battery time. What probably happened is that the batteries were not fully charged when you stored them. That will kill them.

Riegfrghtl

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Thanks Silvertip for your quick reply. I will try as you suggested but also may just buy a new battery for the peace of mind. With cold weather approaching fast last November in New Jersey I concentrated more on all the other aspects of winterization and am sure my one battery was not fully charged. Thanks again.

Tim

Riegfrghtl

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Popped the covers off the battery and the electrolytes were a 1/4" below top off plates. Added distilled water to cover top of plates and now am charging at a 2 amp slow charge. Right now the battery is taking the charge. Will see if it fully charges

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

Put the charger on a higher rate charge. Batteries can be charged at up to 20% of their rated capacity.

Fireman431

Rear Admiral

Make sure when you store them for the winter that they aren't set on a concrete floor. For some reason, that will kill a battery in no time. For next season, look into a Battery Tender (2 bank). It will keep the batteries minimally trickle charged as needed.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

Make sure when you store them for the winter that they aren't set on a concrete floor. For some reason, that will kill a battery in no time. For next season, look into a Battery Tender (2 bank). It will keep the batteries minimally trickle charged as needed.

Batteries can sit on a concrete floor with absolutely no problem. That restriction dates back to the days when batteries had hard rubber cases that would be attacked when sitting on concrete or directly on the ground. Batteries today have far different case material and can be set anywhere without damage -- except under water.

Fireman431

Rear Admiral

Batteries can sit on a concrete floor with absolutely no problem. That restriction dates back to the days when batteries had hard rubber cases that would be attacked when sitting on concrete or directly on the ground. Batteries today have far different case material and can be set anywhere without damage -- except under water.

That's what I thought too...until I put 4 new marine batteries (can't remember make off hand) in my boat last fall. All have stickers on top that say "Do Not Store On Cement". Go figure...

Cadwelder

Lieutenant Commander

That's what I thought too...until I put 4 new marine batteries (can't remember make off hand) in my boat last fall. All have stickers on top that say "Do Not Store On Cement". Go figure...

I think that sticker is referring to damage to the concrete from the electrolyte not the battery itself. If any electrolyte spills on the concrete it'll etch it out.

keninaz

Chief Petty Officer

I grew up in the older days around my Dad's car lot and learned to store them on wood. Never changed the habit. Back in the late 40s and 50s it would nail the battery.
Old habits die hard.
Also of note, it's not good to take batteries out and leave them unattended over the winter. They should be checked for plate levels and charged.
I have seen many a deep cell left unattended in the cold in RVs over the winter that the plates shorted at the bottom and would not charge.

paultjohnson

Lieutenant Commander

One other thought on this topic, My brothers friends uncles sisters buddy told me that on a concrete floor the bat is more susceptible to grounding to the floor as frost and or condensation on the battery actually creates a conductive path for the batt to discharge. Either a short to ground, or a direct short [pos to neg.] yep, just thru the moisture. Placing batt on wood or something helps to isolate it from the cold floor and direct current flow.

sea_goin_dude

Seaman

I agree with silvertip, battery can sit anywhere, electrolyte will/can damage concrete so if any is spilled it shoud be washed down with baking soda.