Alumacraft Classic 165cs questions

1989Lund

Cadet
I'm looking at a 2008 Alumacraft Classic 165cs which has a 20hp Honda 4 stroke on it and a 55lb electric trolling motor. I'm wondering if anyone has any experience with a similar setup. The lakes I will be fishing all have a 20hp limit so does the 20hp Honda do a decent job of getting around? One of the main lakes I would go on is about 3 miles wide and 12 miles long. I don't plan on going from one end to the other, but need to go across and up/down fishing in a reasonable time. The other lake is an electric only about 1/2 wide and 4 miles long. I'm wondering if the 55lb electric can drag the Alumacraft across up/down a 1/2mile fishing and back across reasonably ?

I have a 1989 Lund Mr Pike 16 ft boat that that has a 48hp and 6 hp kicker plus a 55lb trolling motor. We just don't go the lakes that we can use the 48 hp on any more as they are too far way. The 6hp does OK moving it around as long as the wind is not up, but it's not a remote motor so using the tiller is a pain plus it's getting old. The 55lb troller also does OK moving the boat on the electric only lake as well in decent weather. I started just looking a 20hp 4 stroke for the Lund but the prices are pretty high around here ($5k). A neighbor has the Alumacraft (2008 Alumacraft Classic 165cs with 20hp Honda 4 stroke, 55lb electric) which he wants $8k for. I really like the Lund, but spending $5k for a motor for an older boat vis buying the Alumacraft doesn't seem to make sense if I can get around on the lakes I want to fish on with it. The Alumacraft is 10 inches wider, a plus for the family (3 of us) but also heaver. Any experiences or thoughts would be very helpful.

jcminnesota

Cadet
Re: Alumacraft Classic 165cs questions

A friend with a PolarKraft 16 CS has a 25 hp on it for use on Quabbin Reservoir in MASS. They have a 25 HP 4 stroke limit. His boat will get on plane at about 18 mph and top speed is around 21 mph with both of us in the boat. But we added some weight and it was hard to get on plane....so it would be okay for a couple of people but no more, unless you are okay being off plane.