96 200 johnson fuel question.

Grassi25

Seaman Apprentice
I recently disconnected my vro in the same way described above. I have a 96 200 johnson, I ran it in the river for the first time and got about two miles and it slowly died down and shut off. It would crank back up then shut off.

My question is aobut the fuel restriciton buzzer. My alarm beeps when I turn the key on, but in the 7 years I have had the boat I don't ever recall the buzzer going off. I pulled the hose of the top of my fuel pump and turned the motor over fuel pumped through, but it seems like it was a little weak. When I fast idle it I get some popping in the carbs. Which we have been thinking was weak fuel. But if I have a low fuel buzzer shouildn't I hear it. I have tried pumping the ball while its idling with the fuel cap open and it doesn't seem to make a diff.

I just had a no good boat mechanic put this thing back together and trying to figue out his mess. So, it could be any number of things.

I have a repair manual now and am trying to figue things out. This has been one of the best motors I have owned until this series of unfortunate events.

To reiterate my questions, how do I know my fuel pump is pumping enough fuel, and if my fuel restriction alarm is working?

Also, if I wanted to replace my vro with just a fuel pump, can anyone give me a part number. I can't find them without the Vro.

jonesg

Admiral
Re: 96 200 johnson fuel question.

I think you lost the alarm when the VRO was removed, not certain but I suspect so.
I kept my VRO because there other benefits.

Test the pump by pumping the bulb when it starts to quit.

The fuel restriction alarm works off a vacuum switch which is T'd into the fuel line just before the fuel pump. If you have a plugged inlet tube, plugged check valve, plugged vent, or anything of that nature it will activate. What it won't do is tell you anything about the condition of the fuel pump. Only way to check for fuel pump condition is to measure the pressure it's putting out.

As for getting rid of the VRO, most people just plug the oil line going into it and disconnect all wires associated with it. If someone knows of a non-VRO fuel pump that will fit I'd like to know that as well for whenever I have to replace mine.

Grassi25

Seaman Apprentice

I have read that you can replace the pump with a reg. fuel pump, but the only ones i see on here are for smaller hp. motors.

As for pumping the ball I have tried that.

My top two carbs are not getting enough fuel i don't think. I checked each bowl after cranking the motor and letting it run on fast idle then drained the top bowls, they had half as much as the other carb bowls.

Any suggestions?

jonesg

Admiral

Your options are
1. do a pressure test by the book with a guage.
2. troubleshoot by pumping bulb when it starts faltering.
3. get a rebuild kit for the pump
4 buy a new pump and decide whther you want to use the oil side or not.