Hanging the motor by the flywheel

countvlad

Chief Petty Officer
I've read some reviews and from what I can tell is fine to hang the motor by the flywheel. I would like to paint the motor this spring, to do a good job and paint every crack and corner, I would like to remove the transom bracket that bolts to the motor. My question is: can I hang the motor by the flywheel for about a week?

Boat 1 008.jpg

Boat 1 012.jpg

1979checkmate

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Hanging the motor by the flywheel

THis is how merc recommends lifting engines. Although with their special tool of course.

seahorse5

Rear Admiral

The factory lifting tool uses a plate and 3 screws to hold it to the flywheel for lifting.

Most eyebolts like the ones pictured have coarse threads on them and the flywheel has 5/16" fine threads. I'd be leary of your setup.

Lion hunter

Lieutenant Commander

THis is how merc recommends lifting engines. Although with their special tool of course.

Mercs tool attaches directly to the middle of the wheel and pulls straight up not out to the edges. I never would have even thought someone would suggest lifting a motor that way and those holes are for pulling the wheel. I would not hang a motor from a 5/16 bolt that is extended above the flywheel. It looks as if your bolts are extended about 1.5-2" above the flywheel and the rope is pulling them toward the center... not up. Strange thing is your already hanging the motor and asking if it is ok. Johnson has an L shaped bracket for the older motors that has a eye-hole in it and bolts to the block. Don't know if that would work on yours or not.

crb478

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I don't know that it is 100% safe but I have a home made lifting attachment that threads into the three flywheel bolts and have not have any issues with it in the five or so years that I have used it. Mine is a piece of approx 4x4 steel 1/2 inch thick. There are three holes around the outside that line up with the three holes in the flywheel. Then I have a 1/2 eye hook that is tapped and threaded into the center and it is also nutted. I never leave my motors hanging long, but so far I have had no issues. On a side note I bought an older 115 Evinrude powerhead that had the block sheer off at the factory lifting plate. The mechanic I bought it from said that he had it hanging on a cherry picker basically storing it in that position when it just sheered and came crashing down.