State assigned HIN number and model year

reelmess

Seaman Apprentice
I bought an Aristocraft 18, which I figured to be a 1968 model by process of elimination, and it even seems to appear that they may have only made this model that one year.
Its too old to have a title here, and which meant a state hull inspection and an assigned HIN number and new registration. Its a drawn out process but the boat was really clean and I got it for a good price.
Anyhow, I took the boat for its HIN inspection, showed the guy an original brochure from 1968 which I printed out, and mentioned that I thought they only made this model in 1968. (Not to mention it's got a Mercruiser 110 Stern drive).
The title they hand me reads 1953, and under manufacturer, it reads ARR, they didn't print out the name, just ARR, which if thats supposed to relate to an MIC code, refers to an Airsports boat, which this is not. The boat has its original Aristocraft emblems all over it. The model is an 8Teen. Then, the title reads outboard, when I asked why, he said that they didn't have Stern drives yet back in 1953 so there's no choice.
So now I have a 1968 boat with a new HIN and a title to match that says my 1968 Aristocraft 8Teen with a Mercruiser 110 I/O is a 1953 Airsports with an outboard!
When I asked what made them figure on 1953, all I got was that they had no listing on the make so they just found something close.

That should go over well if I ever sell this thing or get stopped on the water.

They called it an ouboard because the computer wouldn't allow them to pick Stern drive on a 1955, they called it an Airsports because the system didn't have Aristocraft in it, and who knows where the 1955 year came from.

At the same time, I bought a 1964 Starcraft Jupiter, it had a HIN number but it was too short, so that too had to go through all the inspection process to get a title since it was last registered in 1969. They gave that a new HIN, and called it a 1987 Homemade, even though they had five expired out of state registrations calling it a 1964 Starcraft and it's got two huge Starcraft emblems on each side, and a Starcraft ID place on the transom. I guess what the title reads on an old boat is about worthless? Now I guess I own a 1987 Starcraft Jupiter with a plexiglass windshield and a 1965 Evinrude 40hp on it.

DuckHunterJon

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: State assigned HIN number and model year

I guess if you average the two out, your're ahead of the game. Sorry I can't be of more help. Did you try pushing back on the Aristocraft? Even if they titled it as a newer home made, it would be easier to explain than what they gave you. I'd do some more digging. When I registered my home made boat, there were none of these issues - though, it was pretty obvious I had just built it. Good luck with it.

grzzzz

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Reelmess

I am going through a similar mess with my 67 starcraft. I bought it 5 years ago in AZ, I live in NM, but just got the boat finished this winter. When I bought it, the owner and I went right down to the MVD to assure I had all paper in order. Even noterized all signatures to assure things went smoothly. Well, nothing did. He did not put his middle initial on the bill of sale. So, they would not take that for the trailer. The boat was an inharitance from grandfather. Although his grandfather had the foresite to sign the regestation transfer, he never put it in his name. Techincally anyone that signed the bottom half owns the boat. NM would buy it. It has to be transfered into his name before he can sell it. I found the guy on facebook!! after 5 years. I am flying to AZ this weekend to get more paper. I do not expect it over. I went over the hull looking for a number like Iwas doing a tick check on a Victoria Secert model but found nothing. I suspect maybe they didn't put numbers on back then?? We will see next week.

Grzzzz

reelmess

Seaman Apprentice

The numbers on those old Starcrafts were on the transom panel usually on the passenger side tacked to the transom wood. If the transom was replaced, it may well have been tossed.
In NJ they won't accept the original numbers, the original numbers were too short so they assign a new number regardless of it having numbers or not now.

I think what it boils down to is that the people inspecting the boats have no clue, they don't know one boat from another so they just guess.

No amount of arguing has got me anywhere, a call to the DMV got me told that I should be glad I got a title at all for it.

I only hope those on the water think the same way. A buddy took an old MFG boat for a title and hull inspection and came back with a title saying it was homemade. The thing even has MFG molded right into the floor. The boat is from the 70's, they put 1965 on the title. It even had the original hull numbers on the transom plate and the tag reads MFG right on it.

I guess I shouldn't be alarmed if I go look at a 1971 Starcraft and the title reads 1990 Glastron or something to that effect?

oldfordcrap

Petty Officer 2nd Class

lets see this is a government agency i guess your lucky at least the got it down as a boat not a tank this is unbelivable and i thought are canadian system was screwed up its awell oiled machine compared to yours!!!!!!!!!!good luck