58 Dorsett - floor install

Naps

Cadet
New to forums....actually been lurking around for a couple weeks now. :cool:

I do know how much everyone loves pictures, but the only ones I have are on my phone at this time and I haven't emailed them to myself yet so they're not on the computer. I have a couple of questions, I have read of "vacuuming fiberglass" - not sure if that's actually the term - but I was wondering if there is anyone that can give feedback on using chopped guns.....

Here's what I think I know about it - Chopped guns do poly.... which is not as strong as Epoxy (yeah that's about it).

It would be easier for me to have some local guys blast some chop ($150.00) in over my stringer, or should I (attempt to) poxy them in myself?

Tolyn

Seaman
Re: 58 Dorsett - floor install

Greetings and welcome to iboats!

I have no experience at all with the "chop gun" approach other than what I've read in the last few minutes regarding them. To answer your question directly, I'd say yes it would certainly be easier to pay some guy to spray some fiberglass over your stringers.

The better approach, in my humble opinion, would be to do the work yourself so that you can use quality materials and know the job is done right. I would be careful with the budget "pay somebody else to get it done quickly" job on a major structural component of your boat.

I'm sure somebody else who knows more about chop guns will chime in before too long.

Respectfully,
-T

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Watch this, It shows how they Blow Glass.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dEhSaFfaSKg&playnext=1&list=PLFC9798EF4E693736

As far as having it done, it depends on the quality of their work. If they do it right, use plenty of product and roll it out then it MIGHT be OK. BUT, I would GUESS that it WILL NOT be as good as if you did it yourself using CSM and resin. Besides Look at all the FUN and the GREAT learning experience you'll be missing, not to mention all the ITCHIN!!!! Come on, dive in here, and let us help you learn how to be a Boat Restorer. You'll be proud to say I DID IT MYSELF!!!!

andgott

Master Chief Petty Officer

Chop guns are great for bath tubs and shower enclosures- But not nearly as strong as 'laid' fiberglass. It's not just a difference in resins- A hand laid construction with poly is going to be far superior strength wise than a 'chopped' one, especially if you compare them pound for pound... Cloth & roving are MUCH stronger!

I love those old Dorsetts- What model do you have??

Naps

Cadet

Thanks guys, really helps.

Hey andgott, it's a Eldorado I believe (any additional information that I can get on this boat would be awesome, I already have the stock engine (40hp) but still want to see what the manufactured trailer looks like (setting up my from the po's trailer - I think this might have something to do with my DECK (yeah no one called me on that, boats don't have floors, right? LOL being damaged. Manufactured stringer specs of course would be helpful, but I plan on doing them 12" apart from middle as they were set up with cross members where they were previously as well (haven't gotten this measured out yet, but will right now).

boat01.jpg

boat1.jpg

boat2.jpg

boat3.jpg

boat4.jpg

All your comments are welcomed and helpful, thanks again.

So talking to the local well, half hour drive local, boat repair 'guy' (I haven't meet him yet, but I will be trailer-ing the boat up to him to get some feedback from him as soon as the bunks get replaced), he essentially said the same thing you did andgott and Woodonglass. :D

to many pictures for one post, so here goes the marathon of posts

Naps

Cadet

Here is the bottom of my boat, as seen from a bird's eye view (what I'm working with).
before01.jpg

before02.jpg

before03.jpg

before04.jpg

before05.jpg

On that 4th picture I have the framing from the old floor, might be actually the original floor not sure, but this is one area along with under the steering wheel, that I am concerned about, how would anyone suggest to tie the new floor in with this, do I leave this, or do I take it out? the 4th picture is right on the transom so I didn't think I wanted to get any closer to the transom with my repairs as it is now....... will probably be doing a transom repair/replace next year if it's needed (more on that in a min.) Any suggestions on how this is ruffed in would be great, is it ready for glass, should I reinforce the bottom, should I just lay the stringers in. I was planning on have the whole bottom (inside) chopped gun in, and then stringers and the deck glassed in with a gel coat over the deck.

Naps

Cadet

Now for the transom questions I have.... with a 85 Evinrude being put on, they raised the transom...not to sure it was the greatest job, but this is what I got.
transom.gif

Not sure you can see my worry but it is right where the raised addition meets the old transom, there are cracks in the "glass" and it is starting to pull the reinforcement bar in front away from the transom on the edges (didn't get a shot of this, but I will right now

Here are those concerns blown up a bit
transom-1.gif

transom-2.gif

Oh yeah the little other question....yeah I been saving all these for you guys.....

The holes on the bottom, reason I would chop gun in the bottom.
hole1.jpg

hole2.jpg

hole3.jpg

Does this look like something I should cut the bottom of the boat out for, or just fiberglass outside, and chop gun inside? It is right on the Keel so I don't think I could cut this hole and make a good repair, I am just thinking (not sure what to do or how to do the inside - top, but sanding and fiberglass the bottom to repair these.... suggestions/comments?

Long winded and a lot, but I figured I'd get it out there, look forward to your suggestions and replies.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

For Me, the "Jury Rigged" transom would have to GO!!! I would build an entirely NEW transom to accomodate the motor. The Keel repair, IMHO, requires Inside and Outside fiberglass repair. Does the damage go all the way thru or is the glass structure still solid and the gel coat just missing? If it is indeed a HOLE then it for sure needs to be an inside/outside job.

andgott

Master Chief Petty Officer

The 1958 Dorsett brochure is available here- http://www.fiberglassics.com/library/Dorsett

It'll give you an idea of what it 'should' look like if you want to do a restoration to original (or some semblance thereof). That windshield HAS to go :)

The transom was raised to accommodate a longer shaft outboard. It looks pretty half *****ed to me, I'd replace it. There is a LOT of stress on a transom, not somewhere you want a weak spot.

Just looking at the pictures, if it were my boat, I'd take the cap off- It'll give you full access to the area in the bow where the old floor is (yes, FLOOR- It is a perfectly acceptable term in a small boat), as well as the transom. There is a good chance that the original portion of the transom is rotten or weak- even if it's not, you'll have to tear some things up to do the 'new' transom right anyway, if you are going to keep it with the long shaft motor.

The holes don't look too bad- A bit of grinding and glass on the inside and outside and she'll be as good as new, or better...

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

In looking at your pics I'm concerned about the area circled. It appears that this MAY be some delamination in the fiberglass. I am NOT sure but it could be. Is this area soft or spongy or bubbly??
Delam.jpg
I agree with Andgott. IF you are planning on restoring this boat back to it's ORIGINAL self, then you should plan on replacing the transom AND the stringers all at the same time. It will be much easier to do especially if you are going to Raise the transom to accomodate long shaft motors.

Yacht Dr.

Vice Admiral

Dont use a chopper gun for reps of this nature.

You have a crack in your bottom..you need to investigate it more.

Chopper guns are for quick products such as hatches and such ( some .. mebbe more use it for skin coats..or mat between cloth ).

Using chopper in your repair is really not suggested..hand layup is..

YD.

Naps

Cadet

You have a crack in your bottom..you need to investigate it more.
Yes at one time the probably 3/4 of the bottom was cracked (from bow to stern) on the keel, the crack was "repaired" from the bottom (glassed), and I think it looks like they might have drilled some holes and poured some resign in and had it just drain to the back of the boat, not sure but seems like that was how they dealt with it.

In looking at your pics I'm concerned about the area circled. It appears that this MAY be some delamination in the fiberglass. I am NOT sure but it could be. Is this area soft or spongy or bubbly??
View attachment 86345
Thank you Woodonglass, that was a previousl repair, solid.

The 1958 Dorsett brochure is available here- http://www.fiberglassics.com/library/Dorsett
Found that, thought it was awesome to finally find what this boat should look like.

I would love to restore this back to it's original look, however :D I doubt I would be able to get the funds, time, and materials to do that. Same with the transom repair at this time, you guys think that transom will survive another season?

There is water actually dripping out of the keel at those two dark marks on the pictures, the first one (on the left) is at the end of the repair for the keel crack, adn the second one (to the right) is a new one I put in it three weekends ago, bottoming out on the feather river. :(

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

All I can say is for me Personally, I would NOT go out on the Lake with a Motor Hanging off that Transom and a Keel in That condition.

Naps

Cadet

All I can say is for me Personally, I would NOT go out on the Lake with a Motor Hanging off that Transom and a Keel in That condition.

LOL Woodonglass - I plan on repairing the floor and bottom before I take this out again, the question of making it through the season was just for the transom....I actually was just getting on here to see what it would take to repair the transom too, but I am still wondering if that transom would be able to make it through the year, also will this deck repair all in vain - will I be undoing any of the stringer and floor replacement to get the transom repaired next year? :confused:

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Depends... If the stringers attach to the transom then... Deck I suppose You could cut the back section of the deck out to get to the transom but you still have to deal with the top cap and the gunwales, and the splash well. I DO understand your desire to get on the water, but for Me SAFETY it my UTMOST concern and just seeing what I am seeing it does not look safe. I am NOT onsite to inspect as you are so I can NOT be totally sure, ONLY you can make the definitive decicision I just want to encourage you to err on the side of safety.

Naps

Cadet

Woodonglass - Thank you, your input is Invaluable (the check is in the mail lol). Browsing around now to find some information on the transom repair and pricing out materials to add this to my project. :D

Naps

Cadet

Anyone need any spare parts from a 58 dorsett eldorado? hahahaha