26ft wellCraft is it worth chasing

infideltarget

Master Chief Petty Officer
Re: 26ft wellCraft is it worth chasing

No offense, but if you have to scrape funds together to buy it, how you gonna repair / maintain / insure / feed it? Those twins will get a little thirsty, even if they are v-6s, and tow vehicle gas or a slip are expensive too. Sounds like it may be out of your range at this time. just sayin.

jtmarten

It depends on what type of work is needed. Transom/stringer replacement or engine/drive tune up? Would be a nice unit, the V6's won't use too much fuel either. Looks like a nice cabin setup.

ssn756

Seaman

No offense, but if you have to scrape funds together to buy it, how you gonna repair / maintain / insure / feed it? Those twins will get a little thirsty, even if they are v-6s, and tow vehicle gas or a slip are expensive too. Sounds like it may be out of your range at this time. just sayin.

None taken. Maybe I shouldn't have phrased that way. I'm short 1k. I repair cars for a living. Electrical/electronics my specialty but do heavy engine repairs and replacements also.

I wanted to make sure if the wellcraft was a sound vessel as this would be my first boat(personally).

ssn756

Seaman

It depends on what type of work is needed. Transom/stringer replacement or engine/drive tune up? Would be a nice unit, the V6's won't use too much fuel either. Looks like a nice cabin setup.

Thanks I'm familiar with Gm's 4.3L but not mercruisers. I like tye idea of having twin setups Since I spent a good portion of my life on a US submarine I like the thought of having another engine(redundancy) I don't think that's what it's for but that's what came to mind.

I and the wife work and don't do anything except lounge around the house on off days. Figured we could do it away from the phones which continue to ring even when I'm home.

Is this something that can go a little ways from shore?

bekosh

Lieutenant

That's a nice cabin cruiser. With the 9ft 8in beam they have a very roomy cabin. I almost bought one last year. They normally go for $12-17,000 in good shape with a trailer.

But that's not a 1996. That's a 1990-1993 Prima 2600/287. Specifically I think that it's a 1993 Prima 287 based off the interior layout. 90-92 they didn't have the dinette to the side.

You can check out the product info sheets on the Wellcraft website.
http://wellcraft.com/index.php/resources/information/1993

Attachments

• WC_PIG_287_Prima_1993.jpg
    WC_PIG_287_Prima_1993.jpg
    146.3 KB · Views: 0

ssn756

Seaman

Thanks bekosh, I just tried finding what I came up with earlier but can't. It was a Martinique though but wasn't 96' either I'm very curious. want to see what kind of work is needed. It is pretty cheap based on a similar search.

I just want that person to answer their ad. Haven't had a reply yet, I feel like I'm buying my first car again.

ssn756

Seaman

WC_PIG_26_Express_1992.jpg

Found it!!! Don't know how to attach a thumb nail though.

Got it.

Thanks set me on the right track. It can be a 91' or 92'

jtmarten

Thanks I'm familiar with Gm's 4.3L but not mercruisers. I like tye idea of having twin setups Since I spent a good portion of my life on a US submarine I like the thought of having another engine(redundancy) I don't think that's what it's for but that's what came to mind.

I and the wife work and don't do anything except lounge around the house on off days. Figured we could do it away from the phones which continue to ring even when I'm home.

Is this something that can go a little ways from shore?

GM 4.3's are GM 4.3's, the marine versions just have a few components that have to be coast guard rated; those won't be HP 4.3's so the internals are prob the same as an automotive 4.3. The twins are nice, keeps you from having to get a tow if one fails.
You should be able to go far from shore depending on what body of water you're on, and how much fuel you have.
I don't know how well a cruiser would handle large waves; I'm told my 26' Nova II can handle 6 footers, I'm guessing significantly less for a cruiser (hopefully someone with knowledge can chime in).