1993 glastron 175 , need some prop help!

retrota79

Seaman Apprentice
hey everyone fairly new to owning a boat. first of all thanks for taking the time to read this and leave your oppinion if you do. second.. i have a 1993 glastron ssv175 with the volvo penta 4.3 and SP drive. the propeller that is on it is chewed right up and is in desperate need of a new one... heres the thing i personally have not driven the boat yet( i own it ) i bought it in november when they are cheaper.. anyway the prop numbers are 14 R 21. now i am wanting to use the boat for tubing and skiing some fishing but mostly have people in it and do water sports... does anyone have a idea of what the boat would have came with? with my little knowledge on prop's i need some advice.. the owner that i bought it off of said it worked good pitch wise but he never towed anything... and i would like to go stainless but dont have too... any advice would be great i just though 21 pitch is a little high for towing?? or have i gone crazy?
thanks everyone in advance for your replies!

PROPer

Seaman
Re: 1993 glastron 175 , need some prop help!

You are on the right track. It is hard to say for sure what the correct pitch will be for your application, but I think the best thing to do is start with a 19P since you are going to be using the boat primarily for tubing and skiing. iboats.com has lots of great props right here for great prices. You will want to be sure to know if you have a "long hub" or "stand/short hub" Volvo. The standard shaft should measure about 4 3/4" from gearcase to the end of the shaft. The long shaft should be around 5 1/4".

Robbabob

Senior Chief Petty Officer

+1

Also provide any information you can from the previous owner (some of this email you have already provided, just repeat it to keep it all together):
1) Performance issue you are trying to correct.
2) Current prop manufacturer, model, aluminum or stainless as a minimum.
3) Current prop diameter and pitch (required).
4) Wide open throttle RPM and speed with an average load (very helpful)
5) Engine/drive make, model, year, and HP
6) Boat make model, year, length and weight
7) Max rated rpm of motor

You say the previous owner mentioned it was pitched correctly, which it may have been their use. I hope you know and trust them since the purchase was made without a water-test-ride.

Look forward to helping you with this!

retrota79

Seaman Apprentice

"You will want to be sure to know if you have a "long hub" or "stand/short hub" Volvo. The standard shaft should measure about 4 3/4" from gearcase to the end of the shaft. The long shaft should be around 5 1/4". so i measure the shaft where the prop was on im guessing?? from gearcase to and of shaft? sounds easy enough.. and on this site im not sure about this site they all say aquamatic and than a number.. i am not sure which is which here, is it the one that says sx drive, single propeller sterndrive?? or is it one of those aquamatic ones? sorry but im just not sure!
1) Performance issue you are trying to correct. - trying to find correct pitch
2) Current prop manufacturer, model, aluminum or stainless as a minimum. - michigan prop is aluminum
3) Current prop diameter and pitch (required). - 14 r 21
4) Wide open throttle RPM and speed with an average load (very helpful) not sure about WOT yet, average 4 people.
5) Engine/drive make, model, year, and HP - 4.3 volvo model tag is missing(how wonderful) SP drive 1993
6) Boat make model, year, length and weight - 1993 Glastron ssv 175 elite,
7) Max rated rpm of motor - not sure
previous owner only used the boat for fishing im guessing thats why he had a 21 pitch prop on it.. the engine is missing the model tag so im not sure which model.. the horsepower is around 200 possibly.. the owner had it rebuilt and put vortec heads on and aluminum intake and stuff like that nothing to crazy.

what do you guys think?

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

As was suggested a 19 is a good place to start if you have no performance numbers to work with.
If you prop still looks like a prop but nicked up you should run it and get the figures to us.
19" Prop should work well and if it turns out to rev too high you just be careful and throttle back.
If you end up with too much prop the motor won't reach correct rpm and you shouldn't use it.
As far as stainless it can produce an improvement in performance but at about 3 times the cost and if you boat where hard contact with rocks or trees the stainless can be expensive to repairt.

retrota79

Seaman Apprentice

alright ill post a picture of the prop... its beaten pretty bad maybe to the extent where it might not work to the extent that it should? ill post it later on today. and as far as stainless vs aluminum would the aluminum not bend or break when hitting rocks or trees... would that not be better than having a stainless one and than because of it being alot stronger.... would it not have a better chance of damaging the drive since it has way less give? just thinking for the long run!

retrota79

Seaman Apprentice

IMG_0225.jpgIMG_0227.jpgIMG_0226.jpg

what do you guys think is it usable ? would i get correct judgement with this crazy lookin prop?

Bondo

Staff member

what do you guys think is it usable ? would i get correct judgement with this crazy lookin prop?

Ayuh,... Have it Rebuilt....

then use it to establish a baseline...

retrota79

Seaman Apprentice

have it rebuild? would that not cost around $100 or so? i dont live in a city so i have to way my options of spending 30-50 bucks on fuel getting there and than 100 on prop rebuild when i can buy a new prop for 160? there is no local prop rebuilder around here.. or am i going way off track with pricing?

Tail_Gunner

Admiral

You need to indentify that drive...Some place there is a serial number...

http://forums.iboats.com/forumdisplay.php?f=21

Post there and find out along with the gearing in that leg...With a good motor that boat should be a screamer....You might want to get a kidney belt...:D